Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Shooting Turkish Ammo Through a k98

Article about: Hello Everyone Today at a flea market I bought a bandolier of 8mm Turkish Mauser Ammo for \\$20. There are70rds and they are dated 1939 which scared me when I began to think about it. They are

Default Shooting Turkish Ammo Through a k98

Hello Everyone

Today at a flea market I bought a bandolier of 8mm Turkish Mauser Ammo for $20. There are70rds and they are dated 1939 which scared me when I began to think about it. They are all in fairly mint condition a few shows light corrosion but nothing huge. I'm wonderign though if I try to shoot them from my K98 will I end up blowing my face off? And in that case where I could find some that won't well you know end my existence or at least mame me. Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Shooting Turkish Ammo Through a k98

I fired a few hundred rounds of the turkish ammo, didn't have any problems in my Yugo M48s. Finding any surplus 8mm ammo these days isn't going to be that easy, most of it's been sold a few years ago. Aim used to have some in volume. Sarco was another.

I've fired 40 year old Soviet surplus 7.62, never anything as old as your's though. The Soviet stuff was all sealed in cans too.

Thanks to you both, I'd hate to damage my k98 but I thought I was getting a great deal until I looked at how old the bloody things were. As far as I know they were in the same bandolier that they came in until I pulled them out in the car going down the road just to inspect them. So in your opinions should I be weary of firing ammo thats almost 73 years old? I'd like to thank you both for your wonderful info! Thanks

Arthur, First thing, inspect each round before you fire it and look for a gold colored ring discoloration around the base of the casing. If you don't see one, chances are good it should be okey. If any show it, toss them, as you'll end up with a burst casing and possibly end up also with a bolt blown through your cheek. But, Clean your rifle thoroughly after you finish running the Turk rounds through it. They likely have Berdan primers and are probably quite corrosive as far as residue goes. Modern 8MM, of course is totally fine and safe. Be prepared for a good number of duds, also, when firing ammo this age.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks so much Wagriff, You may have saved me from a trip to the hospital or the cemetary! I took a close look at the things and what do ya' know they all had the rings you spoke of. I don't know what to do with them so their in an old surplus ammo can for the time being. Do you have any ideas where someone can come across surplus ammo? I've heard gun shows are good but theres only one once a year where I live. Thanks VERY much

It used to be that there was all kinds of mail order surplus ammunition outfits you could buy shells from. I would buy leftover WWII ammo for my Mausers by the case for little of nothing. Sure, every 5 rounds or so you might come across a dud, but they were cheap and it didnt matter. Nowadays all you seem to run across is this cruddy Turk and Iranian junk-none of which I'd trust too much, and with the laws changing all the time, it's getting tougher to find good sellers and decent stuff like the 1950's Yugoslav rounds are now edging up to 20 cents a shell or more. You might try taking a look at Southern Ohio Gun Distributors, Inc. - Firearms, Accessories and Ammunition. They're pretty reliable for surplus, but there's still all kinds of outfits online yet.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I agree with Wagriff, SOG is very dependable and they usually have good prices.

Jay