MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

shot coins ebay?????

Article about: Hi everyone im new on this great forum been lurking for a while. Just wanted some advice there is som items on ebay coins with bullets lodged in them is there anyway to tell if these are gen

Hi sandgroper and thanks for your info

Thanks gunny

?

Its difficult to imagine any circumstances when someone's pocket change would stop a round in this way and I can't imagine that Tommy Atkins would have wasted any part of the Queen's/King's shilling by using a penny as a target if he could spend it on beer or baccy. Whilst we've all seen wallets/pocket bibles/cigarette cases in museums with rounds lodged in them, these coins are surely all fakes.

Philip

Trench art verdun stamped coin bullet head lodged ww1 1900 ww2 battlefield relic | eBay

3 Trench Art Shot Pennies one With Embedded Bullet penny coin WW1 Era George v | eBay

What you need to look for is what the sellers don't say! They are advertising 'shot coins' which is exactly what they are, whether they were shot yesterday or a couple of months ago and buried in their back garden isn't quite clear! Whilst there is no doubt that original examples of this sort of thing do exist, it would be in limited numbers and they would not all be neatly shot through the middle. With regards to 'trenchcoin2012' his wording is very close to the mark (fraud!) - 'frontline battlefield relic detecting find', 'found in france' - he seems to have an awful lot of coins where soldiers have gone to the trouble of stamping them only to find themselves shot right in the wallet! And as mentioned above a penny today is not what it was 100 years ago, then it would have bought you something so stamping it does not make much sense

Yes i i know what you mean think ill send the seller a message and see what they have to say thanks for everyones help live this forum already

?

This sort of scam has been going on for years, I remember in the 80s in the US, all of a sudden many Civil War Eagle plates and belt buckles showed up with bullets stuck in them, all were dug.

I tried it myself with my original 1853 Enfield Musket, I would put a minie ball through the plate or buckle, then take another minie ball and stick it in the hole, then bent back the damaged brass until the minie ball stuck there. not hard to do, made a couple for my re-enacting friends.
    Wish I had kept one for myself so I could show you.

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

Seems most of these bullets ( thread starter )never trough the barrel, no traces from the rail on them
    IMHO , they are modern fakes, I have seen original artefacts, and usually the bullet is heavy deformed.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Thanks all well have just sent a message asking a few questions just sit and wait for a response now thanks again

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Trench art verdun stamped coin bullet head lodged ww1 1900 ww2 battlefield relic | eBay

3 Trench Art Shot Pennies one With Embedded Bullet penny coin WW1 Era George v | eBay

What you need to look for is what the sellers don't say! They are advertising 'shot coins' which is exactly what they are, whether they were shot yesterday or a couple of months ago and buried in their back garden isn't quite clear! Whilst there is no doubt that original examples of this sort of thing do exist, it would be in limited numbers and they would not all be neatly shot through the middle. With regards to 'trenchcoin2012' his wording is very close to the mark (fraud!) - 'frontline battlefield relic detecting find', 'found in france' - he seems to have an awful lot of coins where soldiers have gone to the trouble of stamping them only to find themselves shot right in the wallet! And as mentioned above a penny today is not what it was 100 years ago, then it would have bought you something so stamping it does not make much sense
    Hahahhahaa some idiot has bid £31!.....

I really have found one while detecting. Only the bullet didn't get stuck in the coin, you could see the shape of the bullet, and the coin was streched out and bent. My best geuss is that they used the coin as target practice; the coin being gripped in a vice, and after 20 shots some body got lucky and hit the coin, flipping it out of the vice.
    My father in law still has the coin as I gave it to him, and he used to keep it in his pocket and tell wild stories in the pub about how lucky he once was when he got shot and the coin saved his life. He once was trying to convince me about the story until I reminded him it was me that gave him the coin in the first place.
    Last edited by Feuerbach; 01-04-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast