Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

shrapnel

Article about: hello all , can anyone identify any of this lot ? the large chunk of steel / iron has a brass tag one inch diameter ,unfortunately no letters or numbers, it is approx 50mm thick and has an i

Default shrapnel

hello all , can anyone identify any of this lot ? the large chunk of steel / iron has a brass tag one inch diameter ,unfortunately no letters or numbers, it is approx 50mm thick and has an internal diameter of approx 170mm , ext dia 270mm.
    thanks regards Ian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture shrapnel   shrapnel  

shrapnel   shrapnel  

shrapnel  

Default Re: shrapnel

not a positive id,,but the tag is actually a stud from an early artillery studded shell,i think these were used from mid 1800s to very early 1900s and replaced by the more commonly seen driving band you have on projectiles

attatched image shows the studs on a 9pdr i had,,this type of projectile came in many sizes and was used by many different countrys
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture shrapnel  

Default Re: shrapnel

hi , many thanks for the info , i notice that the brass bit on both the one you post and mine are infact round with two clipped sides, thanks again
    regards Ian