Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!

Article about: Hi Guys, a new item for my collection, kindly given to me by a relative who is visting from Canada. It belonged to his Uncle. He found it in some items he had stored away over here. It did n

Default Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!

Hi Guys, a new item for my collection, kindly given to me by a relative who is visting from Canada. It belonged to his Uncle. He found it in some items he had stored away over here. It did not come on the plane!

As you can see, it is a standard WW2 British Mills Bomb body. The base has had a chrome flared part added to the flat base plate which is used when the grenade is launched from a rifle cup discharger. As you can see this is 45 dated and maker marked MGM Ltd..

It works by pushing the lever down which causes a spark to be created from the fitment on the top. It still works. I imagine the body would have been filled with wadding and a small wick added to the top of the body through a small hole drilled in it.

The grenade body is marked "32". Also marked JH...

The original green paint is still intact while the blueish/silver overpaint has almost worn away. The filler plug is also chrome plated.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!   Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!  

Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!   Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!  

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Default Re: Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!

Hi Ade what a great piece of trench art. Gary

Lightbulb Re: Smoking kills? Mills Bomb cigarette lighter!

Many years ago I had one similar, but not as nice as this one. That is a very nice curio indeed !

?

MGM is:
    Metropolitan Gas Meter Co. London & Nottingham.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

Hi Andy, that is interesting. The grenade came from Nottingham, our home town. I suspect it was war surplus stock converted into a commercial item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

NCA
    ?

Brilliant! I love it.It would go well with one saw recently in an antiques shop.It was one cut in half for use as an ashtray!I've also seen one converted into a moneybox(slit milled into it)

That certainly is an amazing piece! What a nice gift.

Great piece

Looks great Ade:
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

What a nice pressie for xmas ADE.I like it a lot,good one.regards Dave.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast