Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Some of my collection

Article about: AK-47, cheers for the info, I hadn't thought of that.

Default Re: Some of my collection

AK-47, cheers for the info, I hadn't thought of that.

Quote by AK-47 View Post
    That wraping is probably the powder pag for the shell. In flak rounds gunpowder is found in silk bags.
    I know for gun barrels they are used,but....I really thought it was a condom. (sorta)

packin9, a condom???

?

Quote by AK-47 View Post
    That wraping is probably the powder pag for the shell. In flak rounds gunpowder is found in silk bags.
    Yup, very likely- but it wasn't just Flak rounds, it was virtually everything 2cm and up; certainly the fixed cartridge stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised if the incremental charges for artillery rounds were in silk bags too. It's a bit odd though that although these 2cm Flak38 rounds used the bags, 2cm MG151/20 and 3cm MK108 aircraft cannon did not- their propellent was loose like in any rifle round.

Anyway, here's a 2cm Flak38 cutaway showing the bag. They have markings on them (the Germans marked the hell out of everything) so something might be left on yours...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some of my collection  
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Matt L, thanks that clears up the mystery of the condom/bag. The bag has no markings that I can see. The case is marked rrm., 5, 9, + a mark that looks like a crown? The head has ctu 253/44, and lko /45 in dark blue paint marked on it.

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    packin9, a condom???
    Oh well. Does look like one to me.

?

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Matt L, thanks that clears up the mystery of the condom/bag. The bag has no markings that I can see. The case is marked rrm., 5, 9, + a mark that looks like a crown? The head has ctu 253/44, and lko /45 in dark blue paint marked on it.
    A crown? Not if it's German to be sure- maybe post a photo of the base and we can 'interpret' for you. Usually there'd be a lot, year, manufacturer and an ordnance department acceptance mark (an eagle with a number); the Luftwaffe's mark is an stylized eagle with wings draped down over a Gothic 'L' and a number that miiiight be mistaken for a crown? But then Solothurn is a Swiss company and they could have licensed the weapon all over and perhaps the case isn't German. The projectile is easy though- ctu 253/44 is the manufacturer of the projectile itself (ironically) Christ & Co., Armaturenwerk, Gruenberg/Schles., lot 253 in 1944; the lko/45 in paint is the loader of the incendiary and fuse, Maschinenbau-Aktiengesellschaft vorm. Erhardt & Schmer, Saarbrueken and the year it was done.

Matt L, cheers for all the info on the 20mm. Here is a photo showing the base with the marking on it. Any idea?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Some of my collection  

?

You bet. Okay that's just a standard Army Waffenamt stamp- it's just not detailed and rather deeply struck. The 45 is the year (the 4 is lightly stamped, but there) the 9 is the lot number (obviously there wouldn't be many lots in 1945), and the rrm is a mystery since the 1944 published list manufacturer codes only go up to 'ozz'- there are no 'r' s- so this one was 'awarded' after, and its identity could be lost...

Thanks Matt. I've got another one to post soon. It's my birthday, so I have just bought myself a complete Flak 88 shell

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast