Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Some of my collection

Article about: AK-47, cheers for the info, I hadn't thought of that.

Default Re: Some of my collection

Matt, I think we have crossed wires on this subject. I am aware that the Germans used steel in their casings. The Lee Enfield MKIV drill rounds/practice rounds look like, and what I have found out from ww2 and Korean vets, are manufactured inert rounds. Did they have wooden heads to save money?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08052010044.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	103273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08052010045.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	103274  

I have found this interesting link.

_http://modern-war.suite101.com/article.cfm/wooden_bullets_used_in_peace_and_war

zephyr4, thanks for the link, interesting read. I think what we have here is different wooden heads for different uses, such as practice rounds, training rounds, and wooden headed ammo for live firing. I will include in this message some photos of chrome plated 7.62mm Nato Parade rounds and a 27mm dummy round.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08052010046.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	103329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08052010047.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	103330  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08052010048.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	103331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08052010049.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	103332  

Hello Rick,
    Here's a couple with repro steel projectiles which I got from World wide Arms some years back. They were supplied in the transit tubes. The 35mm A/A shells were for the Swiss Oerlikon GDF-002 A/A system, used by the Argentinians during the Falklands conflict. They were then used by the British after being 'liberated' in 1982. I've given one projectile a coat of button polish.
    Cheers,
    navyman.

Name:	35mm Oerlikon AA  1a.jpg 
Views:	3678 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	103350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35mm Oerlikon AA  2a.jpg 
Views:	3195 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	103351  

?

Quote by shadowwolf View Post
    Matt, I think we have crossed wires on this subject. I am aware that the Germans used steel in their casings. The Lee Enfield MKIV drill rounds/practice rounds look like, and what I have found out from ww2 and Korean vets, are manufactured inert rounds. Did they have wooden heads to save money?
    Well there are definitely definite drill rounds of all calibres that have a dedicated, formal mark (the arrows) and paint colour (gray) that use reclaimed, fired casings. The wooden heads, like the one presented, are associated with cases having live primers and so far as I've seen are only ever described as blank rounds suggesting they're always live- it doesn't seem logical or safe to have live and inert rounds that're so similar, particularly if there is already a definite drill type with clear identifiers...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

I've read that there were .303 drill rounds made in WW1 which had wood bullets and I know for sure that post WW2 there were live wooden blanks made to fire in the Bren with a special bullet shreding barrel. Peter Laidler mentioned on another forum that these barrels used to lose the shreading device during firing and that you had the possability of putting wooden bullets into your target area!

My Lee Enfield MKIV clip contains 5 Cartridge SA drill .303 inch D mk VIII war emergency drill cartridges. They never had a primer fitted.
    Regards, Simon.

Hello m3bobby and all,
    Here is a picture of a box of post war wooden projectile .303's which were used for semi and full auto training with the Bren. I believe that the 'shredder barrel' was not used and that the projectiles were designed to disintegrate in the normal rifled barrel. Nevertheless I would not like to be on the receiving end of them! Does anyone know if the special barrel actually existed, I've only heard rumours about them and no one I've spoken to has seen or used one? It would be interesting to find out the facts.
    Best regards,
    navyman.

Name:	Bren blanks 1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	224.6 KB 
ID:	103658  

navyman, there is mention of blue wooden headed bullets being used in the 1960's in the Bren gun for training. Here is the link:- Wood bullet? [Archive] - THR
    scroll to the last entry on the page
    Regards, Simon.

Hello Simon,
    Many thanks for that link I think it's sorts out the confusion very well. I've used the Bren but only with FMJ ammunition, but had heard the persistent rumour that it would cycle with the special wood blanks. Also that there was a special barrel which had crossed rifling to ensure the projectile disintegrated, this I don't believe as the gas check would surely become blocked unless the crossed lands were beyond that, and I'm sure the danger of accidentally chambering a live round would be disastrous and definitely not 'soldier proof'.
    Incidentally, an RFD friend still uses them for 'pretend live firing' when required for film and TV work.
    Thanks again,
    Guy.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast