Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS-Marked Shell Casing

Article about: Hello folks. A very small, but by no means insignificant militaria find. To date, this is the only SS-affiliated item that I own. Not because of any unwillingness to handle such things, but

Default SS-Marked Shell Casing

Hello folks.

A very small, but by no means insignificant militaria find. To date, this is the only SS-affiliated item that I own. Not because of any unwillingness to handle such things, but due to the massive price premium on anything SS-related. I simply don't have the income to fund a worthwhile collection of SS pieces.
    This popped up on eBay as I was browsing one day, and I purchased it on a whim. I know that the SS took out private contracts with munitions companies pre-war, being a political organisation and thus not falling under the supply umbrella of the Wehrmacht. This particular one was made by DWM in 1938, fitting the scope of such contracts.
    This casing is a particularly interesting one, as it is marked for SS-TV use. It isn't in the best of shape, and looks as if it might have been ground dug. The seller made no mention of where it might have come from.
    I have photographed it alongside a modern PPU round for comparison.

A very evocative piece, although it doesn't really stick out from the other items on the shelf. Perhaps that's a good thing, given its possible context.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Marked Shell Casing   SS-Marked Shell Casing  

These Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken cartridges were only produced in one production run as far as I can tell, as I've never seen any with later dates. Those found were used on the Eastern front, Poland etc, not found any in France personally so assuming that stocks had been exhausted by May 1940.

+ 1 It was a lot of money to make such cartridges !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

I take it the 'SS-TV' marking indicates intended use with the TotenkopfverbÀnde? Or do the latter two letters indicate something else?

B.B.

I think it's TotenkopfverbÀnde.
    I have only one, it's a curiosity.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Found some of these also in Finland so still being used in 1941 by SS Nord Troops there

Might just aswell chime in, I guess, I found about.. 15 or 20 of them in a small forest close to Euskirchen which was liberated by US troops on the 7th of March 1945 during Operation Lumberjack, my shell casings are in worse condition and all stamped SS TV 1939 but no maker and I also found a broken one on a field where there used to be a ditch which I guess some remaining few soldiers used as their last stand location, that one is marked DWM 1938 SS but no "TV" here, to be honest I was quite surprised when cleaning them up because when you find them here the finds always have a coat of dirt-oxide stuff around them so I just took them for being normal 7,92mm shell casings.. until I cleaned them up! Also found lots of other things related to those soldiers in that forest and field, just waiting to see if there will be an SS dogtag aswell . All in all I still have around 10 of them, the rest I just gave some friends.
    Luis

?

I found about 120. (ss tv ss dwm) in very good condition in the dunes.There have been great exercises by German SS troops.(totenkopfverbande)This was at 2 different locations north and south.I often found the shells together and then they were shot by ZB26 .Often I also found shells intended for the Spanish Civil War.(7.92 x 57 AI) But during the exercise in the dunes the SS troops had fired them.(1940/41) Furthermore, I found a dump pit next to a polizei shooting range with about 30 SS shells in it.