Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?

Article about: It's about .8" x .8" and is threaded. I have found several of these on the former British island along with the spent shells. Any idea what they were used for or may have come from

Default Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?

It's about .8" x .8" and is threaded. I have found several of these on the former British island along with the spent shells. Any idea what they were used for or may have come from? I'm fairly certain they were military related.

Thanks for any info.

Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?

?

Default Re: Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?

A screw-in stud for a hob-nailed boot ?
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

?

It looks a bit like a screw from the nosecone of an artillery shell.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks Andy. Would these have had to have been removed before the shell could have been used? The area in which I found it contained a large round metal toothed or cogged track on which I assume some sort of rotating gun was attached. I would estimate from memory that the diameter of the track was at least 10 to 12 feet. It was mounted in concrete. Only the track exists now, but I have found a number of these threaded items in the area.

?

Quote by Erik in NJ View Post
    Thanks Andy. Would these have had to have been removed before the shell could have been used? The area in which I found it contained a large round metal toothed or cogged track on which I assume some sort of rotating gun was attached. I would estimate from memory that the diameter of the track was at least 10 to 12 feet. It was mounted in concrete. Only the track exists now, but I have found a number of these threaded items in the area.
    Erik, I'm no expert on these things unfortunately. It just reminded me of a screw from a fuse cone that I used to own a long time ago. If you believe it was a rotating gun, then it was possibly Anti Aircraft?
    Another thought, if it is from a fuze, maybe a star shell? But these are just guesses.

Best Regards,

Andy

Edit:

Safety cap screw?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?  
    Last edited by aj4010; 05-18-2012 at 06:19 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Hi Andy, Regarding the picture you posted, what is that a fuze for? Is the safety cap then removed after the screw is removed? I don't know much about these types of items.

?

Quote by Erik in NJ View Post
    Hi Andy, Regarding the picture you posted, what is that a fuze for? Is the safety cap then removed after the screw is removed? I don't know much about these types of items.
    I found it here:
    File:No 1 DA Percussion Fuze Mk III Diagram.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best Regards,

A
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

The dimensions given are far too small for a British fuze plug, which are normally 2 inch thread diameter.

The toothed track in the gun emplacement sounds like the normal fitting for a coast defence gun. Was the site overlooking the sea?

This type of emplacement has been used since the days of Rifled Muzzle Loaders right up to the end of coast defence with 9.2 inch guns in the late 1950s. (although the 9.2 inch ran on a circular set of rails rather than a toothed rack.

One thouight that did occur to me is whether the "STAR" marking could have anything to do with a star shell.

Pictures of a 60 Pr. RML at Fort Nelson and a 9.2 installation at Culver Battery, Isle of Wight attached.

Regards
    TonyE
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?   Star 25A Threaded Item Found Near Spent Shells--Any Ideas?  

British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Jabbster
    ?

This is actually part of an anchor that is used in concrete buildings to suspend ductwork and plumbing. The (male) piece that you found is nailed or screwed into the plywood forms, then the female piece is threaded onto the male and the concrete is poured. After curing, the plywood forms are removed and the male part is discarded or re-used on future pours. The female part is used to attached a threaded rod to hang the mechanical device, pipe, etc. The company I work for has several of these from a project we did many years ago. Here is a similar product:

P87-P88 Star Anchor DS_Precast_HB.pdf