MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Stick Grenade?

Article about: When I was out walking the other day in Normandy, I came accross this item, I've seen one before and was told it was a stick grenade, however, as there is no rim and the fuse hole (not pictu

?

Default Stick Grenade?

When I was out walking the other day in Normandy, I came accross this item, I've seen one before and was told it was a stick grenade, however, as there is no rim and the fuse hole (not pictured) is quite small (I would say less than 5 mm) I'm not entirely convinced, anyone on here have any suggestions?Stick Grenade?Stick Grenade?

Hi Colin..better to be safe than sorry.....it would be best not to mess with it..and notify the authorities before someone else picks it up and gets hurt. I will move this thread to the " Ordnance and Ammo forum " for more qualified replies. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Sorry about the double picture, I'm using my phone to post and even uploading the picture in the first place was a challenge in itself!

?

Hi Larry, that is exactly what I'm going to do when I get home, unfortunately I didn't find it until Monday afternoon and I had to come back the the UK early Tuesday morning, being bank holiday Monday, my local gendarmerie were not open.

Lightbulb

That most certainly looks like the head of a German stick grenade. I have seen many of these on WWII battlefields, especially in the Falaise area. The soil, being quite chalky and light-coloured, is virtually the same colour as the explosive so it's difficult to tell details.

These are quite nasty - the wooden handle rots away and the metal casing gradually corrodes, but the explosive remains potent. I'd leave well alone and report it ; it's really, really not worth picking up ( they're not that 'interesting' or rare anyway ). I'd keep what you've kept - a photo.......