Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there any money, besides the price of scrap brass in old ammo?

Article about: @Stinkpotpete, Thank you for your replay. I am sorry I did not respond to you in a timely manner! I will defiantly keep my eyes pealed for cartridge boxes. I typicality find ammo in the atti

Question Is there any money, besides the price of scrap brass in old ammo?

Hello all, This might be a silly question if so, I do apologize. I am wondering if anyone likes to collect spent cartridge cases and or live ammo, or just bullets. When doing clean outs and going through junk at our shop we come across lots of ammo, manly from the world war 2 era. I just toss the ammo and bullets in an ammo can and sort it out at a latter time. Is this a waist of time, or is there money and or historical value in old ammo?

From Alex

Default Re: Is there any money, besides the price of scrap brass in old ammo?

yes there is a good amount of value.

Oaky thank you, Pictures to come very soon.

From Alex.

Here is some of the ammo, and spent cartridge cases I have found.
    I do not remember what the head stamp was on these.
    As for the rest, the head stamp is written in blue ink on the towel.
    Head stamp is H
    Head stamp is HP
    Head stamp is J
    Here is more H cartridge cases
    Head stamp is U
    Head stamp is PETERS HV
    Here is a bit of HI U SPEED ammo

im just starting to get into this stuff so im not really sure what you have im sure someone more knowledgeable will be here soon. also I thought that pen was a weird round at first.

Hey I am in the same boat as you, I just starting collecting military stuff a few weeks ago! So I understand. lol, I was tiring to use the pen as a reference to how small the brass is. I think i'll use a ruler next time.

From Alex

?

These are all .22 Long rifle cases so not a lot of collector value I am afraid. Most US collectors of .22 LR want complete packets and some of these can fetch big dollars.

There is value in collectors ammo but it generally needs to be complete and not just fired cases. Most collectors rounds sell in the $2 -$20 range but something super rare can make $5000 for a single round!

Regards
    TonyE
    British Military Smallarms and Ammunition
    Collector, Researcher and Pedant
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/

Here is some more, just form the bottom of some of the "scrap" bucket.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is there any money, besides the price of scrap brass in old ammo?  

Thank you TonyE. So if I find ammo that has not been fired that might fetch some money beside scrap value? I have hear that if the head stamp is raised that is from the mid 1800's would that fetch anything? Do you have any tips of finding collectible ammo (besides un-fired rounds?)

From Alex

Look for cartridge boxes, people put them back in those, even i f it mght not be the corrst ammo for the box, it keeps things together. I've also seen people put them in baggies, lunch bags. I don't have that many, so I display mine. I've gotten almost all of mine from other collectors at gunshows. Headstamps tell almost everything about a cartridge, familiarize yourself with them and you
    ll do well. Dimensions are another tell, that takes a little longer to learn however. Like all things, how much you know is determined by how much time you put into it. Here's a good site with lots of info on headstamps, and a good book to look at is Cartridges of the World, by Barnes, it's an encyclopedia in itself. Happy hunting

Paul

Headstamp Codes - International Ammunition Association

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast