Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Three practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'ed

Article about: I was hiking in the desert a number of years ago and saw a small, 6-inch semi-circular pattern in the dirt. I dug away the rocks and sand and finally figured out it was an old practice mine,

?

Default Three practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'ed

I was hiking in the desert a number of years ago and saw a small, 6-inch semi-circular pattern in the dirt. I dug away the rocks and sand and finally figured out it was an old practice mine, due to the holes in the side. I was in the area of the old WWII desert manuevers so I am guessing it was from the 1940's. After uncovering this one, I came across two others nearby. They were rusted and full of dirt, so I cleaned them up and soaked them in an acid solution which brought out traces of blue paint. From what I can tell these are M1A1 practice mines, right?
    ]Three practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'edThree practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'edThree practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'edThree practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'edThree practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'ed[ATTACH=CONFIG]218508[/ATTACH

Default Re: Three practice anti-tank mines found in desert need to be ID'ed

You are correct in your ID.

Nice finds.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade. I tried to clean up the fuse so I could read what what was stamped on the side, but it was too worn and the dirt was stuck on like concrete.

A tiny bit of info here:

Mine M1 AntiTank

Here is a restored example of one. This was found by a buddy of mine, out in the California Mojave Desert someplace, long long before I knew him and ended up recently being gifted to my son. Being a practice mine, it should however, have been painted blue such as the finds above. I'll add that to my kids To Do list.

Regards,

Russ

?

Russ, that is a nice example of a mine. Good to see what they should look like cleaned up.
    Trey

artillerydan
    ?

Cavhom,

Would the mines be for sale? I need a few for my military vehicle restoration. Also maybe you could give me some info on where you found them in a private email artillerydan@cox.net. THANKS!