Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tiger Tank turret smoke candles

Article about: Dear gentlemen i I seek advice from the wise , can anyone help me out with pictures or a description of the smoke "candles"used on the early to mid tiger tanks i refer to the 6 pot

Default Tiger Tank turret smoke candles

Dear gentlemen i I seek advice from the wise , can anyone help me out with pictures or a description of the smoke "candles"used on the early to mid tiger tanks i refer to the 6 pots mounted on the turret sides 3 a side not the mine launchers on the decking x5 . I have read about and seen the launchers on tiger 131 at bovington but no one seems to know what the actual munition looks like . I understand they were only used for a very short time due to the fact that the smoke could be drawn into the tank and disable the crew and also they were prone to small arms damage that could set them off accidently so they were either left empty by the crew or later the mounts were just cut off the turrets and a safer launcher was fitted that could be loaded and fired from inside the tank like a small torpedo tube powered by a hand held pistol that supplied the lifting power . the deck launchers fired a veriant of the standatd s mine explosive /shrapnel for close defence of the tank but the smokers were used for cover to aid in retreat or repositioning of the tank .any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated photos would be brilliant .Thanks in advance for any help you can offer .
    all the best. Rob

Here is a good picture of the connections for the launcher.

Great topic
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Here is another image, this time the launchers on a PzKpfw IV.

Hi carpediem thanks for the picture, it looks like the ones fitted to tiger 131 at bovington tank museum, same paint job . I live on the isle of wight and go to the museum every year just to see the tiger run if you ever get over here you gotta see it, moving history you dont just see it you can feel it . In the picture you post are the tubes that hold the smokers and as you say the fire control wires what im after are pictures of the smoke "candles" that go into the tubes I have hundreds of photos of tiger tanks but in everyone the tubes are empty or are missing i think towards the end of 1943/4 they were removed completely from new tanks,thanks once again for your reply and i appreciate you taking the time to read my request .
    all the best . Rob

I have a book that has a photo of a damaged launcher with a round in it. Due to copyright I can't really put it on here though. I have been searching for it on the internet, but to no avail.

Here robin59, look at this page. The images could be better, but they are images!
    Die Nahverteidigungswaffe
    Or see these images;
    Nebelkerzen-Wurfgerät

Awesome thats just what im looking for thank you so much guys knowing what there called in german makes searching so much easier I only knew them as candles . I knew I had come to the right place thank you carpediem I can work with those pictures thank you for your help sir. I have a couple of pics from tankfest for ya, tiger 131 and brad pits easy 8 from the film Fury both based at the museum and both fighting a mock battle in the main arena I have a 15 min video of the final battle of the show but i dont know if i can post it on here its a long clip .thanks once again mate . Tiger Tank turret smoke candlesTiger Tank turret smoke candlesTiger Tank turret smoke candles All the best . Rob

Glad I was able to help you out!

Robin59...I'm intrigued....now you know what they look like....were you just curious? are you fabricating them? modelling?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast