Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Torpedo

Article about: Hello I hope someone can help me with Type and Nationality of this Torpedo. Hight 123 cm. and diameter 44 cm. Regards Joern

?

Default Torpedo

Hello

I hope someone can help me with Type and Nationality of this Torpedo. Hight 123 cm. and diameter 44 cm.

Regards

Joern

Default Torpedo

Hi Joern,

I cannot identify the torpedo head for you, but you may find these drawings of the different heads of interest. You will see the similarities. This scan was taken from a book I have which was written by Commander Furlong RN while serving at the torpedo school during WW1.

Cheers,
    Steve,

Torpedo

Hi Joern,

Looking at the markings and appearance of the warhead this may be an early torpedo designed and manufactured by Robert Whitehead, an English engineer.

Here's some info courtesy of Wiki:

Whitehead torpedo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert Whitehead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Hello

Thank you Steve and Ned. The torpedohead comes from a deceased danish navalofficer so I can't get more information. The danish navy got Whitehead torpedoes in 1875 and started to produce torpedos themselves in 1889. Now I know in wich direction I have to look.

Regards
    Joern

Hi Joern,

The notes I have of commander Forlong are in a vellum bound book which bears the title... 'Whitehead Notes' - although this refers to the name of the shore establishment. The book contains notes on Whitehead's designs, and is full of diagrams covering the various components which make up the torpedo. If there is anything specific I can help you with, please let me know.

Steve.

?

Hi Joern,

The torpedo was manufactured by the Whitehead company (Fiume) for the Danish navy and was one of seven 18" (450mm) ordered and delivered to Denmark in early 1891.

The pistol (fuze) doesn't appear to be the original one and if you can post more pictures of this I can attempt to ID for you.

Cheers
    Drew