Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

A tough one for the Ammo/Ordnance boys

Article about: After a recent visit, my dad and 2 uncles remembered finding a "thingy" that had washed up on shore, they were going to bring it home with them, but one of them managed to drop it,

Default A tough one for the Ammo/Ordnance boys

After a recent visit, my dad and 2 uncles remembered finding a "thingy" that had washed up on shore, they were going to bring it home with them, but one of them managed to drop it, it hit rocks and there was an explosion(As I recall, the "thingy" did not explode, but it shot out of the "thingy").

Now: Ever since I've heard about this, I've been driving my father crazy trying to figure out what exactly it was, he remembered it was round, flat in one end and the other end was open. It was about 50 cm long and had a diameter of about 8-9 cm. On it, there was a green-painted stripe(See picture below), this stripe was about 10 cm or so.

This was about 50 or more years ago, he doesn't remember exactly how it looked like, and some details might be wrong. But after a bit of asking, I think it might have been a shell without the projectile, which still had gunpowder inside it which were ignited when hitting the rocks.

So do any of you ammo/ordnance boys know what it might be? Look at the drawing I made underneath to judge it better.

The color is the color my dad thinks was on the stripe.

My uncle says he knows exactly where it is, and that he would also like to know what it might have been, could be interesting to see if it is still there after 40-50 years(Even though it is laying close to the sea).

A tough one for the Ammo/Ordnance boys
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Default Re: A tough one for the Ammo/Ordnance boys

Possibly a flare round.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

My 1st impression is the same as Steve's-sounds like a flare gun cartridge-especially the painted ring on it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Good one, I thought about the same thing, but given the size, it would not have been shot out of a flare gun, so it would have been shot out of a cannon then? Anyone got a picture of one? I found this, but I'm not sure if it is the same:

ESW MULTI STAR FLARE ROUND. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I'll ask my uncles if they remember any other details better
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

?

Given the size it would have to be either mortar or artillery fired surely,81mm mortar,25pdr,88mm,90mm starburst or smoke round???
    Havin a guess....