Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two old projectiles.

Article about: I picked up these two old artillary shells from two antique stores the other day and am hoping that someone may be able to help me with some questions. The first and most important question

Default Two old projectiles.

I picked up these two old artillary shells from two antique stores the other day and am hoping that someone may be able to help me with some questions.

The first and most important question I have is are they safe/inert? I have seen similiar shells with holes drilled into them but these have none. But they also don't seem to have any holes or screws where where explosives could be inserted inside the shell like I have ssen on other ones. I am assuming they are solid/nonexplosive projectiles but am a little nervous. I'd like to think it would be impossible to obtain anything dangerous but.... Not my smartest purchase in hind sight.

Second what are they? I think the older of the two (I am assuming the one with the solid brass band around it is older) might be from the Model 1897 Navy One-Pounder Rapid-Firing Gun based upon some internet searching. It has "The Toledo screw products" and what looks like "mark V" or "VI" on the base. The other one looks newer (based upon the irregular brass band) but the same size. I think it may have been fired based upon the grooves at the nose and sides of the shell. Is the hole in the base a place for a fuse? Both measure approximately 4.5inches from tip to base and 1.5inches diameter.

Lastly, if they might not be inert, any advice about how to proceed? I certainly don't want them around if they aren't safe. Again, next time I will think twice about purchasing something that I don't know more about. The guy I bought from said he thought they were inert but...

Again, thanks in advance for any help.

Pal.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two old projectiles.   Two old projectiles.  

Two old projectiles.   Two old projectiles.  

Two old projectiles.   Two old projectiles.  

Last edited by paladin1919; 06-20-2011 at 01:11 AM. Reason: grammar

?

Default Re: Two old projectiles.

Hi there,not sure about fired shell but both are armour piercing shot,the one with the hole in the base is a tracer round but the element is gone so you're fine. Im unsure which base pictures go with which shot....the fired shell has the hole in the base?

Yep the fired one has the hole in the base.

rmayward
    ?

I have one exactly like your unfired one, with some differences in data on the base of the projectile. If youn look at it closely, you will see that the nose unscrews, and the projectile is hollow. I don't think it is armor piercing, but I could be mistaken.

Two very nice pieces. I like them a lot................!
    Regards,

Steve.

I think you'll find they ARE solid. Nothing unscrews. I think they're the solids from Sherman's.

I have an idea they might be 40mm Bofors Armour Piercing rounds. Probably US Navy, judging by the anchors stamped all over them

Rob