Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 97 Japanese Hand Grenade

Article about: I just found a Type 97 Japanese Hand Grenade while cleaning out the house of a WWII veteran of the Aluetian Islands. I am wondering how I can determine if it is no longer a live grenade. I w

Default Type 97 Japanese Hand Grenade

I just found a Type 97 Japanese Hand Grenade while cleaning out the house of a WWII veteran of the Aluetian Islands. I am wondering how I can determine if it is no longer a live grenade. I was able to identify it easily on Wikipedia but they have little more than pictures.

Default Re: Type 97 Japanese Hand Grenade

Take it down to your local National Guard Armory(if you're in the US). Ask them to take a look at it but to Not destroy it, if possible and that you want it Back when they're done! In the meantime, do Not handle it -or as little as worldly possible,at least, as a 70 year old explosive device can be quite unstable. I seriously doubt that it Is, but you never know if this might have been one that was "duffle bagged home" straight from the field. Good luck and let us know what you find out! If it's been deactivated, it will be a considerably collectable item to have! William
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I am in the U.S. and have a National Guard Armory nearby. Are they obligated to return it to me? I believe my grandfather brought it home and I do not want it to leave the family. My son and I are history buffs and he is especially into WWII info. We have Grandpa's uniform, dog tags, and a few other small items. It is even more fun when there is a family connection!

It would be great to see all of those other things. As William has stated, please be very careful with the grenade. I don't know if they have to give it back but you are better safe than sorry.

?

Why in the world do you suppose someone at a NG armory will know what to do?
    They will call the closest law enforcement bomb department and they will cart it off and destroy it.
    There is no safe way to disassemble it and they will not try.
    If live after all these years, considering the composition of Japanese explosives, this is a hot potato.
    Good luck.

You're right, of course. Military personnel would have no expertise at all in handling grenades and such. What an absurd idea... William

I Would ask you, however, seeing as how you've identified it from the internet site-does it still have it's safety pin in it? And, if not, by No means press down on the end of the rod, or you may Definitely find out if it's live or not!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Can you post a picture of the grenade without moving it around? Does it have a brass fuse on the top with a pin and a string? Like Wagriff said, do not mess with the fuse until you know if this is live or not!!. The Guard base can contact EOD for you and they have equipment to Xray it. I would not take it to the base unless you like getting jacked up by security forces with guns (not a pleasant experience). Call them an they will be happy to come to you. They would rather do that anyday rather than getting someone blown up.

Burt

I have taken some pictures but am not sure how to post them.

Go to the technical section of the fourms. It's really easy.

Default WW ll TYPE 97 JAPANESE GRENADE

Type 97 Japanese Hand Grenade

Hi, this is my first post here, and thought I'd respond to this great thread with a little story. I was helping my mother clean out my grandparent's apartment since they've both passed, and I found this grenade in a suitcase, in their bedroom closet. After realizing what it was, and thinking it was cool(and not thinking, oh hey I could blow myself up, lol)I took it home with me in a John Deere tin, lol. My husband handled it, took it to a family member who advised him to take it to our local gun and ammo place. He took it there, and there happened to be a man who was ex DOD. That man said to call local police. 4 police showed up, took the John Deere tin and put it in a ditch by our apartment. They couldn't touch it, so they spent about an hour waiting for a bomb squad. The squad shows up, "analyzes" it and declares that it was in fact live. They took it away to be destroyed
    It bothered me that it couldn't have been deactivated, or whatever you do to them. I called the police station a few days later and there was no record of our call. They put me in touch with our defense department, and they also had no record or it! How is that?! Anyway, lucky enough to be alive, and have a picture of it I guess, but wondering if it wasn't live at all, and is now sitting on an officer's mantle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast