Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector

Article about: Hi, here are some pics, and some info a friend of mine sent me asking what this might be. I think it is some kind of a signal device or flare projector?? Here is what my friend said about it

Default Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector

Hi, here are some pics, and some info a friend of mine sent me asking what this might be. I think it is some kind of a signal device or flare projector??

Here is what my friend said about it:
    "Its about 1930-1940 and you put it in the ground.
    You can put a blank cartridge in it and cock the splint and put a long small string near the ground (foto 6683).
    The tube is from a 08 or 08/15 or MG 15 and there are two marks with eagles an 2 numbers. "

Any help and info on this device will be appreciated.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector   Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector  

Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector   Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector  

Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector   Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector  

Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector  

Default Re: Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector

Wow, some type of projector.. ...Very interesting... The tube/barrel has Luftwaffe proofs on it and serialed numbered, I believe you are right it is from a MG 15..BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

wow,,,that sure is an odd bird,,,very interesting,,,first one of those i have ever seen...Robert

Quote by Bill Grist View Post
    Wow, some type of projector.. ...Very interesting... The tube/barrel has Luftwaffe proofs on it and serialed numbered, I believe you are right it is from a MG 15..BILL
    Hi Bill, thanks for input. Yes, it is a strange one, and I noticed also the LW proofs. I think this is some kind of improvised signal device?

I will have to get the measurements of the "bore"

Do you think it must shoot some type of standard German flare/ signalpatrone??

Steve

Quote by militarymania View Post
    wow,,,that sure is an odd bird,,,very interesting,,,first one of those i have ever seen...Robert
    Hi Robert, me too, never seen this one. Hope someone knows more, or has seen another, I will like to know the exact usage.

Steve

HVK
    ?

It could be a training mine for the stock mine. It is hammered in the ground and a trip wire is set. A blank cartridge is placed in the barrel. When the soldiers on training trip the wire the propellant gases goes out the holes and makes som noice. Furthermore if the pointed item in the end of the barrel is loose - it could be that the whole mine jumps 30cm up into the air as an indication og an explosion. If it is fixed it is just a spike for fixing it into the ground.....

I think it is a training device - but I have never seen one before....

Quote by HVK View Post
    It could be a training mine for the stock mine. It is hammered in the ground and a trip wire is set. A blank cartridge is placed in the barrel. When the soldiers on training trip the wire the propellant gases goes out the holes and makes som noice. Furthermore if the pointed item in the end of the barrel is loose - it could be that the whole mine jumps 30cm up into the air as an indication og an explosion. If it is fixed it is just a spike for fixing it into the ground.....

I think it is a training device - but I have never seen one before....

Interesting theory. this could very well be the answer....a Stockmine training device. It would work perfect for this use. I was incorrect after looking at this more closely, it does not launch, or shoot anything out of it.

Being an improvised device, it could have been used for other things also maybe.
    It appears it works by putting a blank cartridge in the barrel, and screwing the barrel back on, then stick the thing in the ground, cock and set the spring loaded striker on top, and connect to trip wire.
    It would make a loud report when tripped, so maybe this was used as a perimeter breach warning device??

Hoping others know more on this interesting device.

Steve

Quote by Kilroy Was Here View Post
    Hi, here are some pics, and some info a friend of mine sent me asking what this might be. I think it is some kind of a signal device or flare projector??

Here is what my friend said about it:
    "Its about 1930-1940 and you put it in the ground.
    You can put a blank cartridge in it and cock the splint and put a long small string near the ground (foto 6683).
    The tube is from a 08 or 08/15 or MG 15 and there are two marks with eagles an 2 numbers. "

Any help and info on this device will be appreciated.

Regards, Steve
    The attached photo from a German manual is not an exact match, but it's close.

See attached from a German WWII manual . . .
    not exactly the same but similar. very odd device

Ron Berkeley USA
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown German Grenade/Flare? Projector  

Your manual looks like one of those 'knee' mortars that actually weren't....erm....for your knee

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Your manual looks like one of those 'knee' mortars that actually weren't....erm....for your knee

Steve T
    Steve:

The manual(H.Dv.409, dated 1940) covers signal devices including flare gun, tree spike device,
    flares etc. and mentions the pictured rig is "fur
    GranateSignals" . I read very little German so
    it's difficult to envision what is fired from the
    cup when it doesn't specifically show a 'Granate signale'. Bottom line, the manual pictures are
    just not exactly like one you're trying to ID. FYI