Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown large calibre shell

Article about: Hello guys, I need help by identifying this (maybe artillery) shell from WW1 for a friend. The calibre is 76,2mm, maybe someone is able to identify it by its markings

Default Unknown large calibre shell

Hello guys,
    I need help by identifying this (maybe artillery) shell from WW1 for a friend. The calibre is 76,2mm, maybe someone is able to identify it by its markings
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown large calibre shell   Unknown large calibre shell  

Unknown large calibre shell  

I think it is likely a Russian shell given the dimensions as they used a 76.2mm gun as their main field gun during the First World War. I find it interesting that the top driving band is engraved Przemysl 1915. This was the longest siege of the First World War and in my opinion being able to link this shell with it makes it particularly interesting. Cheers.

Thanks, you think it could be a shell of the 76,2mm divisional gun M1902? I did not find a pic of the right shell, so i asked here

Yes, that's what im thinking. I am not overly familiar with Russian ordnance but they seem to have used the double driving band on other shells, also adding the calibre, the location and date engraved on it, and where it has eventually ended up I would think that this is the case.

The top driving band is a centering band! Sov 76.2mm by the way.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    The top driving band is a centering band! Sov 76.2mm by the way.
    Thanks for that. I did wonder why it wasn't grooved, so I guessed it had to be something like that. Thanks for the confirmation.

No problems, just doing my job!

Thanks for your help guys.
    Cheers