Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

unknown navy / artillery shell

Article about: hey guys, i got this shell from my uncle. he wanted to lose it so i took it. he does not remember from where he got it tough, but he said it was really old and probably ww2, thus my big inte

?

Default unknown navy / artillery shell

hey guys, i got this shell from my uncle. he wanted to lose it so i took it. he does not remember from where he got it tough, but he said it was really old and probably ww2, thus my big interest in it.

but this shell dusn't have a lot of identifications on it, and i really want to know from what cannon this is from.

can you guys maybe help?

and as since my camera just decided to die... i'm gonna use this link: This is a German shell but from which gun ? Naval or Artillery ?

mine looks like this, tough it does not have the same inscriptions. i will say it what is on it.

as follows:

15cm No 15 and right under it is a 1

to the right is written: 54. and underneath that number is, 1 and 580°c

bottom: 5

left: some sort of signature, it's a triangle with an A witha | within it. and all the points have - on them. and right under that in a circle 260°c

and on the primer is ingraved: No 3 AI (2x) 58 (2x) and a 3.

sorry for no pictures. as mentioned, my camera just died. i'm sorry for that.

?

Hello Vince,

There's an old saying - "every picture is worth a thousand words"................have you re-resurrected your camera from the dead yet? What about using your mobile phone's camera?

Besides I'm sure most forum members would love to see some pics!

Cheers
    Drew

Many times, when someone joins the forum for the first time, sadly their camera "dies" just beforehand... To me, that just seems like an excellent excuse to buy something?

?

oh thanks guys for replying, i totally forgot about this. and yes i have my camera back up. (it was my phone cam, i really have no idea what the problem was.) here are some pics. i drew the inscriptions on it via my pc since my cam din't pick them up so well.

oh and i've seen that guys like trench art (or how do you call it). here, my grandpa made a ash tray out of an 25pdr shell and something else

Its a cutoff shell case for the 15 cm Dutch Bofors gun. The original length is 117 cm and the case is necked. The
    design was started before WW2, and due to the war effortd and outcome in 1940, the design was never implemented, after WW2 the Dutch Navy decided to put them on there ships. The complete case is impressive. looks like it's 12 cm brother, just a bit bigger. Will make a pic of both this week,

Kees

?

hey thanks for the info man! just looked up the gun, quite impressive thing. and it's a shame that it's been cut, didn't notice at first but now i see saw marks.