Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown piece of shrapnel. Help!

Article about: I received this as a X-mas present from my wife a few years ago but I have not been able to figure out what it is. I have showed it to many people and I heard many different ideas. This foru

?

Default Unknown piece of shrapnel. Help!

I received this as a X-mas present from my wife a few years ago but I have not been able to figure out what it is. I have showed it to many people and I heard many different ideas. This forum knows what they are talking about and have great knowledge so let me know what you think. I've been stumped for five years on this thing!

Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!  

Default Re: Unknown piece of shrapnel. Help!

Its a D.A. No. 119 MkIV Percussion Fuze, as fitted to the British 25 pdr HE shell. Nice piece.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!   Unknown piece of shrapnel.  Help!  

?

Gad, you rule this night! Thanks so much! Riddle solved! Cheers, mate! Thanks for your information and photos. Amazing. Damn, I love this forum. Hail Salzburg!
    P.S. Pink Floyd. My favorite for thirty-three years.
    Sorry, had to throw that it being you are from England.

Just to be an annoying pedant, it is actually a No 119B Mk IV Fuze, an improvement on the No 119 in that it had a weaker detent spring, the 119 having had a problem of not arming after firing as it's spring was too strong. It was introduced in 1943 for such weapons as the 25-Pr.

Also (another pet hate of mine) it isn't shrapnel. Shrapnel is small lead-antimony balls fired from an airburst shell used to attack infantry. Pieces of fired shell, such as this, are shell fragments

Rob

I think I can safely say that it's probably no longer Live, at least...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Exploded Ordnance.........
    Regards,

Steve.