Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Shell case

Article about: This was found on a farm in Northern Victoria, owner sadly passed away , locals said he was in the Navy. Over to those that know.... Regards Mike

Default Unknown Shell case

This was found on a farm in Northern Victoria, owner sadly passed away , locals said he was in the Navy.
    Over to those that know....
    It is 99mm across and 27 cm high.
    Regards Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Shell case   Unknown Shell case  

Looks like a cut down 6Pr naval cartridge case. Made by Vickers, Sons and Maxim.. Can't see a date though.

Opladen,
    Thanks for the reply, clearly the firing cap has been punched out...so no help there...time to get the magnifying glass out.
    And will check the top for signs of tampering.

Kind Regards Mike

Hello again..... no, I measured a 6 pr and what I thought was wrong. It is perhaps a 12Pr cut down case. The most common cases on board Aust Naval ships , in the smaller calibres that is, were 3Pr, 6Pr and 12Pr 12cwt. Of course there were bigger, but as this one is only 99mm (is that the base measurement or the top measurement ? ) I think it must be a 12Pr.

It is measured top to bottom, and the top does not appear to be cut down, as it is rounded and very evenly finished.
    Cheers...