Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

vickers 30cal links what are they for?

Article about: Hi All i have been trying to find out more about these for about a year or so now with little sucsess. they are steel and the packet sayes vickers 30cal i know that most mgs use canvase belt

Default vickers 30cal links what are they for?

Hi All
    i have been trying to find out more about these for about a year or so now with little sucsess.
    they are steel and the packet sayes vickers 30cal i know that most mgs use canvase belts so are these for air service?
    are they ww1 or ww2?
    i have found that some models of b17 the E & F had a 30cal in the ventral radio position even though the rest of the guns were 50cal. all of my books come up zero and i cant find any real info on the net although i have found picks on the web but with no more info than what is writen on the box.
    so i am hoping the combined wisdom of the group can shed light.
    i have three boxes = 30 links so i could make up a belt.
    Any help would be fab.
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture vickers 30cal links what are they for?   vickers 30cal links what are they for?  

vickers 30cal links what are they for?   vickers 30cal links what are they for?  

Default Re: vickers 30cal links what are they for?

They look like Japanese Vickers gun links from the 7.7x58SR chambred T89 Army Aircraft machine gun. The 7.7x58SR round is a rimless round similar to the .303 in shape. The T97 aircraft gun was used by the Japanese Navy in 7.7mm (.303") and was fitted to the Zero fighter, this had a similar link but didn't have the long rib down the middle.

Hi Bobby
    thats a option i hadn't thought of i was thinking 30,06 us cal like the springfield and garand. I have found so little on these i am up for any option.
    Andy

Hi Andy, here is the answer in this pic.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture vickers 30cal links what are they for?  

Hi Ade
    Thanks you are a star.
    I thought they may be ww2 but not 1915 there cant be too many of these around almost 100 years on.
    what do you think they were used in? not up on this period of avaition history.
    Andy

Hi Andy, not really my period either, so I would ask in our Aviation forum. Several members are really into WW1 US collecting there.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade's right,

Just found them on page 223 of GOL. Prideaux type link, the type you have are U.S. made, Vickers made the same type minus the rib for the WW2 Lend Lease Vickers 1915 and 1918 guns. Good spot ade.

Colt Vickers Aircraft MGs came in two Calibers, 30 cal. and 11mm.. Here are some picts of the weapons, and a belt of 11mm Ctgs, in my collection...BILL
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture vickers 30cal links what are they for?   vickers 30cal links what are they for?  

Attached Images Attached Images vickers 30cal links what are they for?  vickers 30cal links what are they for?  vickers 30cal links what are they for? 
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

Hi Ade & Bill
    Many thanks for your help you are a mine of info.
    Best Regards
    Andy