Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What are these cannon ball looking things with the Germans Eagle and Swastika?

Article about: I have no idea what these things are I did some research but didn’t find anything about them. They look like cannon balls. The person claims they are from World War 1 and his grandfather too

Default What are these cannon ball looking things with the Germans Eagle and Swastika?

I have no idea what these things are I did some research but didn’t find anything about them. They look like cannon balls. The person claims they are from World War 1 and his grandfather took them from a German soldier in World War 2, they’re claimed to be solid lead and have the Eagle and Swastika stamped on the. What are they? Thank you,
    -WarHorse
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What are these cannon ball looking things with the Germans Eagle and Swastika?   What are these cannon ball looking things with the Germans Eagle and Swastika?  

What are these cannon ball looking things with the Germans Eagle and Swastika?  

MAP
    ?

My guess is that it is a fantasy item. The "eagle/Swaz" looks fairly crude and what would be the purpose of this stamp. Makes little sense.

But having never seen something like this I'm happy to be corrected
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

The only thing I would assume they could be for is

(1) the shrapnel balls for the S-Mine (I don’t lnow size)

(2) ball bearings for a moving part in equipment/vehicle

You say they are lead so not ball bearings. I would think the eagle marks are a fake mark, recently applied and nothing to do with the original purpose. The story sounds far fetched.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    You say they are lead so not ball bearings. I would think the eagle marks are a fake mark, recently applied and nothing to do with the original purpose. The story sounds far fetched.
    The truth of the matter is that the German army were in such short supply of weapons by March 1945, that they resorted to using a cache of Brown Bess muskets which had been supplied to them by the British government in 1815....

?

Out of curiosity how much do these weigh?

So you think they are authentic Harry.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    So you think they are authentic Harry.
    But of course... who wouldn't?

....I think I saw the outline of a Crown Green Bowls green when I visited the Eagles Nest a year or so ago......could the stamp be applied to the Bias?

sorry - couldn't resist

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    But of course... who wouldn't?
    so you believe they are a last resort cannon ball used in in March 1945?

- - ------- - -

Thank you all for your input!

- - ------- - -

Thank you all for your input!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast