Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What Type of Shell Is this?

Article about: I have an old practice (?) artillery shell. It seems to be made of lead and is hollow like a .58 minie ball. The thing has been fired so the following measurements are approximates: Wt. 4.67

rlduke
    ?

Default What Type of Shell Is this?

I have an old practice (?) artillery shell. It seems to be made of lead and is hollow like a .58 minie ball. The thing has been fired so the following measurements are approximates: Wt. 4.67 lbs. / Ht 4.5" / O.D. 3.0"/ I.D. 2.5" / 23 Lands & Grooves / There appear to be 3 gas checks / The round is mis-shapen from use but seems to have been part of a complete artillery round. Can anyone help identify thisthing? Pls email
    bobduke@taxmtrs.com

Thanks!

rlduke
    ?

Default Re: What Type of Shell Is this?

Quote by rlduke View Post
    I have an old practice (?) artillery shell. It seems to be made of lead and is hollow like a .58 minie ball. The thing has been fired so the following measurements are approximates: Wt. 4.67 lbs. / Ht 4.5" / O.D. 3.0"/ I.D. 2.5" / 23 Lands & Grooves / There appear to be 3 gas checks / The round is mis-shapen from use but seems to have been part of a complete artillery round. Can anyone help identify thisthing? Pls email
    bobduke@taxmtrs.com

Thanks!

Default Re: What Type of Shell Is this?

Please post a photo, then perhaps someone might be able to help?

Cheers, Ade.