Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What is this WW2 German bomb nose?

Article about: Hi all, got this at a militaria fair for £15, the story was that this is part of a stray bomb dropped in or around the town of Stourport on Severn, Worcs, during WW2. I know nothing about it

Default What is this WW2 German bomb nose?

Hi all, got this at a militaria fair for £15, the story was that this is part of a stray bomb dropped in or around the town of Stourport on Severn, Worcs, during WW2. I know nothing about it but it is marked 18 DLG, it is about 8in in width and very heavy, the carlsberg is for scale and was dutifully drunk later

Any ideas?

Many thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What is this WW2 German bomb nose?   What is this WW2 German bomb nose?  

?

Default Re: What is this WW2 German bomb nose?

Well at 8" diameter, it's the size of a standard 50kg bomb but the two main types, SC50 and SD50, both had one-piece bodies and your nose seems to have a recessed lip and if so wasn't just cut off. I had a look at the types for which I had pictures and nothing had a separate nose like this one. Interestingly DLG 18 is the destroyer USS Worden- but I suppose that doesn't help
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Default Re: What is this WW2 German bomb nose?

Hi, thanks your response. Your right about the recessed lip, so if you find anything out, please let me know.