Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Who Can Guess These Parts Contest

Article about: Hi, pics of my small box of neat little goodies I have gathered up, like a squirrel gathering nuts. There are 3 slightly different angles to look at. All are WW2, and most are hand grenade r

?

Default Re: Who Can Guess These Parts Contest

Ok ... ceramic grenade pull ...... pepperoni .... pineapple ... mozzarella .... red peppers ... salami ...

C'mon guys, name the bits, just for fun

Cheers,

Grant[/QUOTE]

Quote by Australian Guy View Post
    Hi Steve,

Some of the Japanese parts can be found and identified on this website ; Japanese WWII Hand & Rifle Grenades - Inert-Ord.Net :
    but I didn't want to "borrow" their pics for pointing out some of your items

Others will probably enjoy that website as well.

Good luck, to who points out all the items

Cheers,

Grant

Hey Grant, kind of take back part of what i said about inert ords site being incomplete. The Japanese section is pretty complete and informative. I will help make the other site I mentioned more complete, when my pics get finally posted.

Steve

Ill have a quick go
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7010003.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	44626  

Quote by spotter View Post
    Ill have a quick go
    Hey Killer!

Pull button: Dutch no.1 grenade,

Transit plug from russian f1 grenade,

'Hebelzunder',

If any of these are right, that's pretty intimidating!! He knows more than 'Blaster Bates'!!!

C'mon, give the man a cigar!!(or that crappy dog tag)

Whatever, it looks he's made a fist of it to me!! Fair play!!

Cheers, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ill have a quick go
    Hello Allan!! good to see you here. Did not know you ventured here also. It's a great site, like yours!

OK, we have a winner!! Almost. I see 2 question marks in your answers, and one answer is incorrect, the most scarce part you answered semi-correct, deduct 3 points. Plus you missed a couple items. ZONK!! Try again.

Also the "Dutch No1" button could also be for a No.3 like this one.
    See pic.

When every one is done guessing, I will post pics of all the items these go to, and installed in/on them. I will be a good visual for members not that familiar with all the different countries WW2 grenades and small mines.

Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280073.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	44679   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280085.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	44680  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280097.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	44681   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5280099.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	44682  

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hey Killer!

Pull button: Dutch no.1 grenade,

Transit plug from russian f1 grenade,

'Hebelzunder',

If any of these are right, that's pretty intimidating!! He knows more than 'Blaster Bates'!!!

C'mon, give the man a cigar!!(or that crappy dog tag)

Whatever, it looks he's made a fist of it to me!! Fair play!!

Cheers, Ned.
    Blaster Bates????? who the....

Am i allowed another go ?? if its Ok heres my final attempt ive marked some of changed items with stars..

Name:	P7010003.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	44688  

Am i allowed another go ?? if its Ok heres my final attempt ive marked some of changed items with stars..

Sure you are allowed as many guess as you want, until someone gets it 100% right. I should also add, there are a couple parts that are NOT grenade or mine related, to throw people off a little.

I will review your answers this time.

Regards, Steve

OK, looked at it. Getting very close. Did you have anybody help you?? It is against the rules if you had help.

What WW2 Soviet fuse does the lever go to? What are the names of the other 3 WW2 Soviet fuses?

The "Russian det" is incorrect, and the US "fly off" is incorrect, but is US.

Yes, a percussion cap/primer, but from what grenade or small mine? what country? might let this one go, because it was used in a few things.

What is the screw to? threads should be a give away, and believe it was mentioned already.

The 2 small "wires" I do not think anyone will get, so might let that go. They are not from a mine fuse/shear wire, but from a WW2 grenade. I should mention it is broken, and missing a small piece.

Right now you are very doing well, and if you get get no further, and no one else beats your score, I will break the genuine imaginary real fake SS dog tag in half, and you will receive half an imaginary real genuine fake SS dog tag.
    Pretty good prize, huh??

Regards, Steve

Hi Spotter, OK, you won the contest. Where do I send the real fake dog tag to?

Ok, here are the other answers you indicated by your ? in your picture with arrow pointers, in case anyone wants to know.

The screw, I do not even know what it is to, I think a stock screw for German Mauser 98k maybe. I know it is a wood screw, and for a rifle stock butt plate.

The "part of US fly off lever is actually a "fly off" cap and pull pin for the original MkI "pineapple grenade" from WW1 that had the side swing lever. This cap never had the longer "handle on it" also called the "spoon" A very hard to find bit to find if you need one. It did not "fly off", you had to pull the pin, and then shake the cap off. It was a very poor design, as was design of the orig. "side swing" fuse. They shortly changed it, as you probably already know.

The "Russian grenade lever" is a Soviet WW2 manufacture UZRG fuse handle. Look similar to modern ones still made, but slight differences.

The percussion cap is from a WW2 US M2 bounding mine fuse.

the "shear pins" are a broken brass cotter pin from a WW2 Soviet Koveshnikov fuse, like the 3 shown you correctly named (1 with handle, 2 without)

The 2 Kovesnikov fuses without handles came from F1 Soviet WW2 F1 grenades rigged as Boobytraps. This is what I was told from archeologist/diggers in Poland, Russia I bought them from. They say they were rigged as traps. I believe this may may be true, as it makes sense to break the handle off, so it would not get caught on anything, and increase the chances of the boobytrap functioning properly. They are both broke in the same place, and they were not broken off recently.

Very good Allan, you did very well, thanks for playing along.

Regards, Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast