Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wood bullet

Article about: Hi Johnnie, I'm gonna take some photo of those cases. they are all Ww2 marked and have a slight crimp on the neck, but they're not completely crimped as the blank .303 cases.

Default Wood bullet

german ww2 wood bullet Dom St 1 42 , Dom is for factory code , St for stell , 1 is lot number , and 42 for 1942 production years ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wood bullet   Wood bullet  

Wood bullet   Wood bullet  

?

Default Re: Wood bullet

Nice,I can never seem to find one of those when I go to the gunshows.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

i buy this bullet 8 years before , and i never see in gunshow

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    wood bullet, used by a splinter group no doubt
    Nice one Phil

I have 3 boxes of those type, and the same head colour, i also have a belt of 50 from the MG, however they are all the same batch, with all the same head stamps, I don't know the true story of these type of rounds, but i have heard stories that they were used in combat to increase the chance of septicaemia if hit with any, a much slower death than with a straight hit from a copper jacket. I also have about 15 rounds of .303 British with wooden heads seems they were all at it

Johnnie
    ?

Wood bullet cartridges are used as blanks, either to funtion automatic weapons in training for safety reasons, or as rifle grenade launching rounds. They were never intended to be used against personnel, and indeed are totally inadaquate for that role as they splinter or vaporise shortly after leaving the muzzle.

Johnnie
    Last edited by Johnnie; 09-28-2008 at 10:39 AM.

I would agree with Johnnie.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Johnnie View Post
    Wood bullet cartridges are used as blanks, either to funtion automatic weapons in training for safety reasons, or as rifle grenade launching rounds. They were never intended to be used against personnel, and indeed are totally inadaquate for that role as they splinter or vaporise shortly after leaving the muzzle.

Johnnie
    Johnnie, You are 100% correct..BILL
    "As long as there are brave men and warriors the halls of Valhalla will never be silent or empty"

In memory of my father William T. Grist December 26, 1920--September 10, 2009..
    901st. Ordnance H.A.M. North Africa, Italy, Southern France....ETO
    Also in memory of my mother Jane Kidd Grist Feb. 22, 1920-- September 27, 2009... WWll War bride May 1942...

?

Johnnie's right. we had wooden bullets for Garand rifles as well. It's for training. They will disintegrate when you shoot them, but besides that, they recreate the "feeling" of a live ammo.
    I believe that US troops used something similar as well : in an area where I use to dig, US troops used to train and do exercises shortly after 1945 to show muscles with Yugoslavia, and I found alot of cases with the primer intact but no bullet. It is realistic to think it was a wooden one.

thank all !

Johnnie
    ?

Quote by Matt R. View Post
    Johnnie's right. we had wooden bullets for Garand rifles as well. It's for training. They will disintegrate when you shoot them, but besides that, they recreate the "feeling" of a live ammo.
    I believe that US troops used something similar as well : in an area where I use to dig, US troops used to train and do exercises shortly after 1945 to show muscles with Yugoslavia, and I found alot of cases with the primer intact but no bullet. It is realistic to think it was a wooden one.
    I'm not aware of a wooden bullet issued for the Garand. (for US forces)The cases you mentioned are probably crimped blanks (no bullet at all). The Garand used a blank adapter on the muzzel which increased the gas pressure enough to operate the action with bulletless crimped blanks.
    I do blieve that the Italian military issued a wood bullet blank in .30 cal for use with US provided weapons and these may also be what you are refering to. The nice thing about wood bullet blanks is you avoid accidently shooting regular ball while the blank adapter is attached which would be an unhappy state of affairs!
    I'm sure Bill probably has more info on these.

Cheers,

Johnnie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast