Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells

Article about: Guys I have a family connection with the above, I have picked up a few relic style 18pdr complete shells, i want to restore to original condition as it were, ie paint scheme and so forth Any

Default WW1 British QF 18 Pdr Shells

Guys
    I have a family connection with the above, I have picked up a few relic style 18pdr complete shells, i want to restore to original condition as it were, ie paint scheme and so forth

Anybody have any pictures of original HE and shrapnel shells for referance ? I would like to paint in original paint scheme if possible

Cheers

not being rude, but do a google search, I did and found bits there.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    not being rude, but do a google search, I did and found bits there.
    I did but not conclusive, if you want to be rude, be rude

Found this after a quick trawl through the Interwebs. Might be useful to you.

Regards, B.B.

Yeah cheers, seems a little confusing what i have seen so far

It seems the shrapnel were black with red bands, and HE yellow ???

Cheers

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Yeah cheers, seems a little confusing what i have seen so far

It seems the shrapnel were black with red bands, and HE yellow ???

Cheers
    That seems to be what this photograph indicates. I've seen websites selling refurbished shells with these paint schemes. It seems there is a huge variety of paint and markings when it comes to these shells. I have only one, and it's a plain black ex-shrapnel shell.

Some more from a display in the Woolwich Arsenal Museum:

B.B.

Nice one thanks, from what i have seen its clear that the shrapnel rounds ( which i have many ) were black with the red stripes and the HE ( one only ) were yellow

Look forward to sorting them out, if you need another, let me know !!

cheers

I have noticed on some of the fuses, there is remnants of red paint, so this makes sense

cheers

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Nice one thanks, from what i have seen its clear that the shrapnel rounds ( which i have many ) were black with the red stripes and the HE ( one only ) were yellow

Look forward to sorting them out, if you need another, let me know !!

cheers
    From what I've read, shrapnel shells were the most common type by far in British use during the war. It makes sense that the vast majority of relics would therefore be shrapnel shells. Also take into account shrapnel shell heads remaining relatively intact after use, whereas HE shells would have burst into little more than a series of fragments.

I'll let you know if I ever want any more, but I'm trying to stick to WWII militaria. I'm thinking of passing on the few WWI pieces that I own, which isn't much. The only Great War pieces I'm likely to keep on collecting are medals, as they're good value for money and easy to store.

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    From what I've read, shrapnel shells were the most common type by far in British use during the war. It makes sense that the vast majority of relics would therefore be shrapnel shells. Also take into account shrapnel shell heads remaining relatively intact after use, whereas HE shells would have burst into little more than a series of fragments.

I'll let you know if I ever want any more, but I'm trying to stick to WWII militaria. I'm thinking of passing on the few WWI pieces that I own, which isn't much. The only Great War pieces I'm likely to keep on collecting are medals, as they're good value for money and easy to store.

B.B.
    To be honest, I am going the other way, I am becoming far more interested in WW1, my family fought and died in both wars.
    My great uncle was RFA and KIA at Passchendaele, hence my renewed interest in WW1. Last year, and especially October was special for me and the family

cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast