MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells

Article about: Hi all, Thought you might like to see these 77 x 230R German WW1 M16 Field Gun shells. The previous owner thinks they might have been Gas shells ? Regards to all, Simon.

Default WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells

Hi all,
    Thought you might like to see these 77 x 230R German WW1 M16 Field Gun shells. The previous owner thinks they might have been Gas shells ?
    Regards to all, Simon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells   WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells  

WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells   WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells  

Default Re: WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells

No thease are not Gas shells.

Here is photo of gas one....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells  

shadowwolf, have a look at this site with regard to these shells/fuzes, www.passioncompassion1418.com very informative site, these 7.7cm cases make great stands for Pickelhaubes,helmets and caps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 M16 Field Gun Shells  
    Last edited by oradour; 08-11-2010 at 03:03 PM.

@ Inf Div 121, thanks for the help with the shells, yes yours do have a big blue cross on their base.

@Oradour, thanks for the link, when I get some spare time I shall have a look at it, as it does look interesting. And if you are interested in using a couple of these to mount Pickelhaubes, I am parting with 2 of them as I am running out of space.

Regards to all, Simon.

[QUOTE=shadowwolf; I am parting with 2 of them as I am running out of space. Simon.[/QUOTE]

Simon, PM me with details.
    Thanks, Steve.

Quote by oradour View Post
    Simon, PM me with details.
    Thanks, Steve.
    The 77mm was small in comparison to a lot of the German artillery fielded during WW1 but it sure was one of the most lethal. Sometimes nicknamed "Whizz-Bang" due to the sound of it coming in and then the explosion, one British Army Corporal recalled the moment one of these scored a hit on a nearby trench. "The Huns scored a direct hit on one of our trenches, one man had his head blown clean off, another lost both arms and had been almost cut in half, while another man just had bloody stumps where his hands had been and his entrails were hanging out of a ghastly wound to his abdomen. Several others had shrapnel injuries." Imagine having to witness such carnage day in day out-doesnt bear thinking about. Regards, Tim.

Cheers Tim for that rather graphic insight into the devastion that these shells could cause. Thanks for taking the time to post up that story
    Thanks, Simon.