Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a ww2 german landmine?

Article about: Hi gents, I found this a few weeks ago and wonderd what it is, any ideas? Reg

Reg
    ?

Default Is this a ww2 german landmine?

Hi gents, I found this a few weeks ago and wonderd what it is, any ideas? Reg
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a ww2 german landmine?  

?

Default Re: Is this a ww2 german landmine?

Did you post the correct picture Reg? That's certainly no purpose-made mine given the turned, pointed nose, which a mine surely doensn't need. The lack of any driving band would seem to suggest it's not an artillery projectile so that might leave bomb as a possible identification, but I had the impression the German WWII bombs had a differently-shaped base than this. What makes you think it might be German?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Reg
    ?

Right pic this time, no horsey pics lol. Ive seen somthing similar in a bomb disposal museum of some massive arial bombs dropped on Britain odly called landmines , no markings on it which is why Im wondering if anyone can id it, agreed, certainly not an arty round lol.

Cheers Reg

Reg

Found this photo of a German parachute mine

2522german parachute mines2522 image by petec-photo on Photobucket

Seems there were two types

Luftmine A of 500kg (1100lb), 1.7m (5ft 8in) long
    Luftmine B of 1000kg (2200lb), 2.6m (8ft 8in) long.

Doesn't identify the object in your photo but thought it might be of interest.

Regards

Richie

Reg
    ?

Hi Richie

Thats the thing that my grandad refered to as a landmine, cheers! so my pic isnt what I thought it was. Apparetnly my grandads sister used to listen to one ticking when it landed on the farm, ive got some shrapnel from it in the collection.

Best wishes
    Reg

1000 kg bomb eh ... got me Googling - came up with this:

Luftwaffe Resource Page Bomb Annex - SC 1000 HERMAN (C, L, AND L2)

which led me here

Imageshack - sc1000herman.jpg

Looks the same to me.

Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a ww2 german landmine?  

?

Ah, so it's just your Granddad's term for it. And just for the record, the Luftmine parachute dropped weapon IS a mine, a SEA mine; sometimes they accidently ended up on the land because parachutes are kind of dodgy with respect to aiming, especially in the dark LOL Also the German term 'Mine' had a much broader use with respect to ordnance than ours- thin-walled 2 and 3cm aircraft cannon projectiles were referred to as 'Minengeschoss'- mine shells.

The difference in design with respect to bombs I was referring to is the base- under the fin section, which is just a sheet metal cone; the base is, in the more common-sized weapons (50kg, 250kg), curved to a short neck as I understand it, it's not flat like your piece. Or is the base of yours just cut flat to be the way it is now?
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi Guys,

This is a German SC1000 bomb. It still retains it's original suspension ring that was fitted at the bombs centre of gravity, and just below that can be seen the fuze pocket. These were often fitted with a metal band (Kopf ring) near to the bombs nose, that was designed to stop the bomb penetrating too deeply in the ground before it exploded.

This bomb appears not to have one fitted, so perhaps it was meant to penetrate deeply and was maybe fitted with a time delayed fuse?

The reason why the tapered rear of the weapon, and the ring to which the tail section was fitted cannot be seen is simply because it is secured into the concrete base.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The term land mine was used for large capacity bombs dropped on the UK. The idea was to use LC bombs to create a blast wave which would smash windows and rip the roofs of buildings and then the incendiary bombs would land in the buildings and start fires. The fires would then draw in fresh air through the windows and fuel the fire like a furnace. These same tactics were used to devastaing affect on the German cities causing terrible fire winds.