Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?

Article about: Hello Gentlemen, A collector friend gave me these two cartridges and pieces of magazine belt at the weekend. I believe they may be WW2 German Light Flak Bullets (think that's the correct ter

?

Default Re: WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?

Hello Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the posts. I'm posting a couple of closeup photos of markings on the tips - do these tell you anything?
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ? 

?

Ah, those are training-practice heads, not actual fuzes; the lack of any desingation (AZxxxx, ZZxxxx) is one indicator, but the arrow is a specific symbol for a TP part; the 'projectiles' may well have a couple of them around their circumferences too. It seems to have been standard procedure not to make complete TP rounds, but rather to collect a few fired cases and use those with a new non-working projectile (hence the fired primers in the otherwise usual cases). These are the more intricate version- antoher just uses a solid slug 'projectile'.

That's why there is no colour- the colour code for TP rounds was gray, not a paint but a wash or some form of surface treatment to gray the steel.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi I think the links are 20mm vulcan
    Andy

?

Hello Mattl,
    Thanks for the extra information - very interesting. I've given the projectile another look over found no further markings or traces of colour.

Hello Andy,
    Any chance of more information - Links are 20mm vulcan - means ?
    Regards

Hi the 20mm vulcan as used in the phalanax system seen used on Royal Navy ships. They used this as a short range defence against missile and air attack. if you fire a at a ship your rocket flyes into a wall of stell projectiles. the vulcan round is used in all sorts of things lots of aircraft are armed with the 20mm but i think these links are only used on the phalanax type systems.
    Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?  WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ? 

Picture of 20x138 R Solothurn Round (Flak 38) practice round.

Waffen Mark.
    WaA201. 201 P490 20mm case Hugo Schneider Altenburg (Th) 1939 – 40 Flak-38 2cm round.
    Headstamp: P490 is Hasag

I have two of these which are in near new condition complete with cardboard tubes.

z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?   WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?  

WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?   WW2 Luftwaffe Light Flak ?  

?

Hello Andy,
    Comparing my links with the links in your picture, they do match up in shape & form. Don't know how they got down to my neck of the woods, would you happen to know if this particular phalanax system was ever used by the German Bundeswehr ?
    Cheers

Not sure about that one I think they were/are avalable to all NATO parties and may well of been sold all over the world? Not sure though?

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2