Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Shell Fuses

Article about: Hello Can anyone assist me with identifying these shell fuses? The larger one appears to be German (Markings I can make out are VO15 & M4). The small one has the following markings – RY

?

Default WW2 Shell Fuses

Hello
    Can anyone assist me with identifying these shell fuses?
    The larger one appears to be German (Markings I can make out are VO15 & M4).
    The small one has the following markings – RY 43 138B 25L III COL 3 E.
    These were found in the Ardennes.
    Thanks
    Jimbo

WW2 Shell Fuses

Default Re: WW2 Shell Fuses

Hi...the one on the left is the fuse for a 40mm Bofors Anti Aircraft gun and the one on the right is a WW2 German Kl AZ 23 umg as used in German tank HE shells.....for Panzer IV and Panther..(.Panzer V). Not used on Tiger or King Tiger shells...Matt

?

Default Re: WW2 Shell Fuses

To flesh the second one out a little more, the kl AZ23 umg ('kl' stands for 'klein' as this is the smaller AZ23 type fuze, and 'umg' stands for umgeändert or convertable- referring to the settable detonation delay: instantaneous, or 0.15 second delay to allow penetration of structures before detonation), is for 7,5cm projectiles primarily- which the later Panzer IV, Sturmgeschütz and Panther mounted; in contrast to the 8,8cm projectiles of the Tiger and Königstiger, which used the rather larger standard AZ23 or 23/28 type. The US Army TM9-1985-3/TO 39B-1A-10 manual "German Explosive Ordnance (projectiles and projectile fuzes)" (1953), notes that the PaK40 also used the same projectile as the KwK40/StuK40- the 7,5cm Sprgr. 34- and thus this fuze could be from an anti-tank gun as well. Interestingly, the 7,62cm Sprgr. 39 (for the ex-Russian 7,62cm FK36 (r) and PaK36 (r) ) did too, although that's probably a rather less-likely possibility.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Need help identifying this fuse. It is different than a Japanese Type 93 but almost the same. There are no markings.
    WW2 Shell FusesWW2 Shell FusesWW2 Shell FusesWW2 Shell Fuses
    Kaydee