MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 US 76MMx539R Junk Shop Find for £5!

Article about: Actually found this last week in the junk stall of the Indoor Market in our town. When i looked at it i could see from the visible headstamping that it was from a weapon of 76mm calibre and

Default WW2 US 76MMx539R Junk Shop Find for £5!

Actually found this last week in the junk stall of the Indoor Market in our town. When i looked at it i could see from the visible headstamping that it was from a weapon of 76mm calibre and 1943 dated and that from the M26 stamping must be US manufactured. So i ask the geezer how much he wanted for it and he says "Oh, its not mine its me mates and i dont know and will have to ask him". He then asks me if im back later and i say "no". Fast forward one week to today and i go back down there and the guy that was there last week wasnt there, and hes got a lil old lady running the gaff for him. So i ask again how much the case is and the old lady doesnt know cos he hasnt priced it again (temper slowly rising by this stage lol!), you are the third person to ask that question explains the lady and she says "oh sod it its a fiver"! So i finally get it and after checking sure enough its a US 76mm High Velocity round case as used in some Sherman Tank and Anti Tank guns. Only pain in the butt is the vandalism in the form of solder on the bottom obscuring some of the headstamping. It had a firepoker inside which i threw into the River Avon on the way home, so it must have been used as a fireside ornament in the past. Now the question is is it worth a fiver?? Never seen one of these HV 76mm cases before but ive seen loads of the shorter 75's. Regards, Tim.

Default Re: WW2 US 76MMx539R Junk Shop Find for £5!

It is worth a fiver alright! Nice find!
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Cracking find Tim. It is worth another 50 or 60 quid easily I would expect. You see a lot of 75mm around, but not very many of these at all.

Excellent find

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Cracking find Tim. It is worth another 50 or 60 quid easily I would expect. You see a lot of 75mm around, but not very many of these at all.

Excellent find

Steve T
    Cheers for that Steve! Saying that i will have to look out for a 75mm now to add to the collection as its one case i dont have at the moment. Regards, Tim.

Nice buy. Got to be worth a fiver as scrap alone.

I just scrapped a carrier bag full of spent brass blanks cases we expended at an event. I got £17 for them alone. Brass is now £2,200 a ton.

Cheers, Ade.

?

They are not a rare find in the Russia and ex-ussr, they are exact the same for a 3 inch Soviet gun, and the shells from the first war was re-equipped, and re issued in the WW2
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Nice buy. Got to be worth a fiver as scrap alone.

I just scrapped a carrier bag full of spent brass blanks cases we expended at an event. I got £17 for them alone. Brass is now £2,200 a ton.

Cheers, Ade.
    Agreed, one of the local scap yards pays £70 for a sandbag full of empty brass case. If only the gamekeepers I know knew this bet they wouldnt be giving me all their empty cases now

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Agreed, one of the local scap yards pays £70 for a sandbag full of empty brass case. If only the gamekeepers I know knew this bet they wouldnt be giving me all their empty cases now

Thanks

Danny
    Thanks guys! Now i have a gypsy friend who keeps telling me he wants my two Iraqi 130-mm cases for scrap jokingly!! As you can imagine my reply to that was one which cannot be printed up here lol!