Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WWI British Mills Bomb No 33 M1?

Article about: I recently got a Mills Bomb with a strange number on the base plug. The grenade appears to be a No 36 made in 10/17 by EAR. The problem is that the base plug is clearly marked No 33 M1, 10/1

Default WWI British Mills Bomb No 33 M1?

I recently got a Mills Bomb with a strange number on the base plug. The grenade appears to be a No 36 made in 10/17 by EAR.
    The problem is that the base plug is clearly marked No 33 M1, 10/17, EAR.
    Under a magnifying glass it is a clear No 33. The spoon is also marked EAR & Co.
    Someday I may even learn how to take better picture too
    Any ideas what I have here?

Thanks
    BurtWWI British Mills Bomb No 33 M1?WWI British Mills Bomb No 33 M1?WWI British Mills Bomb No 33 M1?

Default Re: WWI British Mills Bomb No 33 M1?

Hi Burt, all I can tell you is the maker is E.A. Radnell & Co. Ltd of Birmingham.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I didn't think there was a No 33 Mills ???? The No. 33 was an egg grenade and looked nothing like a Mills. See here......

No

I think the base nut could have been damaged or tampered with somehow. In the picture you've posted I see '36' !!!!!

Also, I love the fact that it is cocked and loaded You sure it's inert ?

Steve T

Thanks guys, First of all, I did get this cleared by EOD. I do that every time I run across any ordinance. For some reason I can not get a clear picture of the base plug. I see what you mean by the second number looking like a 6. The top of that number and the shape of 3 matches exactly with the first 3. My only guess is that it must be damaged somehow. I will probably look a bit damaged at 95 years too