Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

WWI US 3 inch deck gun info needed

Article about: Nice gun ( great photos of the 3''shells too ! ) Congrats, it's a beauty....................!

armament
    ?

Default Re: WWI US 3 inch deck gun info needed

Quote by qm612 View Post
    If the breachblock has not been demilled you are in violation of a Federal Law.
    So lets see the breachblock.
    1.) It is spelled breech block......not breachblock.

2.) You should not post anything, unless you know what you are talking about........which you clearly do not.

The breech block is not the NFA regulated part.....the breech ring is. You are requesting a photo of the "breachblock" to see if it has been properly demiled. Once again, it is the ring....not the block. Can you cite the federal law that pertains to destructive devices and explains what the proper deactivation procedure is? You can't, because there isn't one......it is a BATFE ruling/determination. The ring requires no demiling if it is welded to the barrel and there is a hole equivalent to the diameter of the bore cut into the chamber or high pressure area. There would also need to be a cross pin welded into the chamber and bore end of the barrel, to prevent the loading of a projectile from either the muzzle or into the chamber. This procedure renders the item a Title I firearm, which would transfer on a standard ATF Form 4473. It removes it from the purview of the NFA and nullifies its status as a Title II item. Furthermore, if there is no deactivation and it is a functional destructive device.......how do you know it is not properly registered with the NFA on a ATF Form 1, Form 2, Form 3, Form 4, or Form 10? Frankly, it is none of your business(or mine). He was simply asking for a copy of a manual.......not a lecture or an inquisition from someone that has no idea what they are talking about.

Lee, that is a VERY nice 3"/23cal landing gun you have there. I might have a manual in my reference library.....I don't think I do, but will double check. I will post some photos of the WWI & WWII era rounds that this gun would have fired(don't worry qm612....the rounds are inert and free from all energetic compounds).

Just a follow up on the breech block/ ring situation. The barrel which is part of the breech ring is in the control of a licensed cannon collector/manufacturer. He will keep it until I have my dangerous weapons permit or, if we decide, permanently subcaliber it.

?

Quote by qm612 View Post
    If the breachblock has not been demilled you are in violation of a Federal Law.
    So lets see the breachblock.
    Unless you're a federal authority (BATF, for example), you don't have any business demanding anything- and if you are an authority, it hardly makes sense to get on this in an online forum setting. The attitude is not appropriate so cool it.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

sounds like a candidate for an infraction,,,abuse of member...

qm612
    ?

What part of this Dept. Of Defense document do you people not understand.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI US 3 inch deck gun info needed   WWI US 3 inch deck gun info needed  

armament
    ?

Quote by qm612 View Post
    What part of this Dept. Of Defense document do you people not understand.
    What part of....."if you don't know what the hell you are talking about, keep it to yourself".......do you not understand??

What you have cited is Department of Defense Directive 4160.21, "DoD Personal Property Utilization and Disposal Program", December 5, 1980, and DoD Instruction 4160.27, "Demilitarization of Materiel", December 14, 1988. Its purpose is to set for DoD demilitarization policy, prescribe uniform procedures for assigning demilitarization codes to DoD property, and direct methods for completing demilitarization.

This applies to DoD property disposition only. Domestic destructive devices do not fall under the purview of the DoD......they are regulated and controlled by the National Firearms Act branch of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, & Explosives. The BATFE is also responsible for setting forth demil/destruction guidelines for the above-mentioned items. These are not laws, but ATF rulings/determinations......which can carry the force of law.

By furthering your arguement, you are just reinforcing the fact that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and you are obviously trying to stir sh*t up. Did you even read the document that you posted??

I do this for a living......I do know what I am talking about. I am a BATFE licensed Type 10/Class 2 manufacturer of Destructive Devices and am registered with ITAR(International Traffic in Arms Regulations).

One thing I have no clue about is how the state of California governs destructive devices, but from reading Lee's post.....it looks like he's got that under control. Once again, the status of his piece is none of our business......he was simply asking for technical information. If you don't have anything constructive to add to this post, do us all a favor.....and go away.

armament
    ?

Lee, I've checked my library, and nothing on the 3"/23cal gun....only information on the 3"/50cal's. Posted below are some inert samples of 3"/23cal ammunition from my reference collection. This would have been the proper ammunition for your gun. Beautiful gun, please let me know if you are ever interested in selling it.

Thanks for the pictures. I will print them and keep them in the 3" information folder for the gun. Sorry but I don't see selling this anytime soon. It is pretty unique and will look good in the backyard all polished up and next to the pool. ( am I strange???). Thanks again for all your help. Don't be too hard on the other guys. We all have to learn as we go. Lee

?

Quote by scroungerm5 View Post
    It is pretty unique and will look good in the backyard all polished up and next to the pool. ( am I strange???).
    Not unless we all are, which I suppose is debatable...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

BM59_Fan
    ?

This is also the Anti Aircraft gun mounted on the stern of the flush deck four stack destroyers of the Clemson/Wickes class. This installation did not mount a gun shield.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast