Become our sponsor and display your banner here

WWII Japanese Fuse

Article about: I have what was decribed to me as a Japanese fuse from WWII. My father was a ordinance officer in the US Navy and it is my understanding that he received three fuses during his training. He

?

Default WWII Japanese Fuse

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	547792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuse lid.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	547793
    I have what was decribed to me as a Japanese fuse from WWII. My father was a ordinance officer in the US Navy and it is my understanding that he received three fuses during his training. He gave me this one when I was a child. I assume it is safe as his career was as a safety engineer. I would appreciate any information about it. I was considering selling but have been told I cannot mail it and if I take it to a militaria show, they might confiscate it. I live in Texas, USA. Thank you.

I do believe that as long as it is inert it would be okay to ship or mail. Just to make sure it is inert, you should put a few more detailed pictures up for when the experts here take a look at this because I am no expert.

You have a Type 88 Instantaneous fuze used in a wide variety of Japanese high explosive projectiles such as the 47mm anti-tank, 57mm & 70mm tank,75mm & 105mm guns, plus the 70mm, 120mm and 150mm howitzers.
    It is a very common fuze but having the original storage can is a plus. Value of a mint one is in the $100-125 range with the can.
    Inert fuzes can be shipped with no problem, however, I would put a note inside the package stating in large lettering that it is an inert souvenir just in case someone inspected it.