Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??

Article about: Hello folks, some pics of my project today.I need some input and opinions here from the experts out there. I just went to my mailbox today after a nap, and this was in there. I bought this o

Default WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??

Hello folks, some pics of my project today.I need some input and opinions here from the experts out there.

I just went to my mailbox today after a nap, and this was in there. I bought this on-line, advertised as a CRG-42 practice grenade for very little money. I knew it was not. From the pics online I noticed the bottom had not been repainted, and looked like the unique greenish color and type used on WWII era Russian grenades, mines and ordnance. It was covered in an odd color paint except the bottom. I was hoping that under the paint, was the original paint, or at least some of it, and would be able to strip off carefully to reveal it.

Well I did, and this is what is under it. It is a fair amount of the original paint, as seen on the bottom. The body has one little hole, and you can see a frag sleeve under it. The grenade weighs 9.7 ounces, or 275 grams with the fuse. The fuse has the striker and spring still.

I believe this is a wartime production Russian RG-42. The 4 fuse well prongs are spot welded very poorly, and there are rough machine and tool marks. It looks correct to me, but have not seen enough of them to be sure. The color is definitely right. I understand there were many ways the fuse well was attached on WWII RG's, and have seen different types.

The fuse I am not certain of either, it is a UZRG, but do not know of the time period. It could be wartime, it has some of the characteristics. I can post better pics if needed.

Anyway, enjoy the pics of my completed project. I think it looks much better than the way it came to me. Regards, Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??   WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??  

WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??   WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??  

Default Re: WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??

Very nice Steve!

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade, does it look like a WWII RG42?, I have not seen many in person. Steve

It looks a good wartime grenade to me. I have only handled a few, as they are hard to find here in the UK. It is one I am loking for too.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Steve this is a war time RG 42 grenade with war time fuse. But unfortunately condition is not good, I've seen them in much better condition in the battlefield areas, but main problem deactivation, the fuse is due of age "welded" to the body, due of combination of aluminum part of the fuse and steel grenade body.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Hello Dimas, thanks for your information, it was only $75US so not too bad.I will keep in the collection until I find a nicer one someday. I really like it, even though it is a bit rough looking. It makes me feel good to restore this one back to a fairly good representation of a RG42 grenade, and get that ugly green latex paint off it. There are not many RG's to be found over here. I read that all the fuses in WWII era were brass?? Maybe that is just for the Koveshnikov fuses. You are correct, I just checked this one very closely, and it appears to be an aluminum type alloy for the threaded area, with a steel insert pressed in with threads for the delay or detonator. The US during WWII tried a aluminum fuse bouchon for the MkII's, but they decided against it for the exact same reasons. The dissimilar metals would cause corrosion over periods of time. I will email you and Aleks for the item on hold for me. I have sent the Hurricane Pilot post to many people, that is a very interesting post. Thanks Dimas!
    Regards, Steve Pic of a new grenade: Type91
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??   WWII Russian RG-42 grenade??