Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 Cupal Panzerkampfabzeichen

Article about: I have what I think is a very nice treat for all you fans of PAB's. Two (?) beautiful cupal Assmann & Sohne PAB's (variant 1.3.1). One in bronze and one in silver. For those who know bot

MAP
    ?

Default 2 Cupal Panzerkampfabzeichen

I have what I think is a very nice treat for all you fans of PAB's.

Two (?) beautiful cupal Assmann & Sohne PAB's (variant 1.3.1). One in bronze and one in silver. For those who don't know, both versions are quite rare and highly desirable. Especially the Silver

The Bronze is in excellent worn condition with just some minor wear highlighting the underlying copper color. It is also oh so slightly "bent". The silver on the other hand is in mint condition. Just some slight discoloration to silver. I can not tell if it the traditional silver plate or the electroplated version. Maybe someone knows.

Both weight exactly 12 grams. In line with accepted standards. And both the typical C hook catch and sheet metal hinge. The silver's hinge is set slightly lower and has a puddle of solder to attach the catch (not uncommon I have read).

Now...for full disclosure...why the "?" at the beginning? The silver could be a zinc version. As there is no visible copper wear I can never be sure but as noted, they both weigh exactly the same and within the accepted standards. I do have a zinc Assmann to compare too and this weighs 18 grams...

First up is the silver, followed by the bronze.

Again...thanks to Ned for the advice and research.

Regards,

Michael

Silver

Bronze

Last edited by MAP; 06-04-2016 at 04:25 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 Cupal Panzerkampfabzeichen
    P
    Many

They're both extremely good finds. The silver does appear to be zinc, I must admit. Stewy

MAP
    ?

Thanks Stewy.

Very difficult to tell for me. Appreciate the feedback and opinion.

I don't think someone would think this...but I wish it was not in such mint condition. Then I would know for sure!!!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I think we are looking at an as close to mint cupal silver PKA as I've ever seen. Hinge is just fixed lower than normal (whatever normal is). Take a wire brush to it. You'll know then & probably hate me forever. Stewy

MAP
    ?

I was thinking of using a grinder but a wire brush will do just as well!!! LoL.

Agree. If Cupal, this is book worthy

Hi Michael,

A great catch!

Both are beautifully conditioned and highly desirable badges, especially if the silver is cupal, it's too tough to call for sure either way without at least a little "invasive investigation" if all other methods have failed IMO.... BUT, I know you had a great deal on these so it doesn't really matter regarding the price paid, you got a bargain for sure!

BTW, the bronze badge isn't "bent", we prefer to say "vaulted".....Lol.

Seeing these has made my week here, thanks for showing!

Regards, Ned.

P.S. Again, just my opinion, I think the finish is almost certainly electro plate, due to the almost "white" reverse.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Michael,
    You should know better, they should be posted separately.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Michael,
    You should know better, they should be posted separately.
    Ralph.
    Yeah...but it was so tempting to show them together

Next time Ralph...promise.

MAP
    ?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Michael,

A great catch!

Both are beautifully conditioned and highly desirable badges, especially if the silver is cupal, it's too tough to call for sure either way without at least a little "invasive investigation" if all other methods have failed IMO.... BUT, I know you had a great deal on these so it doesn't really matter regarding the price paid, you got a bargain for sure!

BTW, the bronze badge isn't "bent", we prefer to say "vaulted".....Lol.

Seeing these has made my week here, thanks for showing!

Regards, Ned.

P.S. Again, just my opinion, I think the finish is almost certainly electro plate, due to the almost "white" reverse.
    Thanks Ned. I'm with you on the finish. I do not think they used electroplate on the Zinc. Correct? In De Bocks book, the electroplate does not seem to tarnish (?) / darken like the silver plate.

And as far as the bronze being "vaulted". Yes...if he was punched in the chest. The badge is ever so slightly bent outward...LoL

Ned, I'm with you old mate. I said to Michael in a PM I was fairly sure it was electro plated. My reasoning wasn't nescessarily the reverse. But with the good quality pics provided, you can tell it's not a "wash". I know you understand what I'm on about. Stewy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast