Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.

Article about: Hi Guys, Here's a new addition to my Panzerkampf Abzeichen collection. It's a hollow cupal Panzerkampf Abzeichen in bronze by Assmann. Cupal is a copper-aluminium material consisting of an a

Default Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.

Hi Guys,

Here's a new addition to my Panzerkampf Abzeichen collection. It's a hollow cupal Panzerkampf Abzeichen in bronze by Assmann. Cupal is a copper-aluminium material consisting of an aluminium core with a thin layer of copper bonded to it by a process known as cold rolling. In this case the copper is on both sides, making a 'sandwich', but it can also be found on just one face of the base alloy, the effect can be seen on some of the pic's below where the edges of the badge show the bright aluminium/dark copper sandwich at the sheared edge. The badge is consequently very light, this one weighs in at 12g. The use of this unusual material, and the rarity of them, makes this type 1 version badge rate as one of the most desirable Panzerkampf Abzeichen's ever made to serious collectors.

The rear set up of this one is the classic standard one of a sheet metal hinge soldered directly onto the rear and a 'C' shaped catch. Note that the catch is literally "swimming" in a puddle of solder, as is often the hinge, this is a common occurance with this maker, and is often encountered. There are two other variants to this, both having different hinges, one a large solid block hinge, the other a wrap around sheet metal type. These variants are considered very rare.

The dark bronze finish adheres well to the copper coating, and is often found in excellent condition with just highlights of the copper base showing through the wear on the highpoints of the badge, the effect is stunning in hand and can't be appreciated by these photo's which is a shame, as it's almost like iridescence, it's beautiful.

These Assmann badges are now faked to an amazingly good degree, but there are at least three points on all of them that can give them away immediately, but i'm not going to give those 'tells' away publicly! Although I will say one involves a couple of flaws, and another the rear set up. Anyway, here's the badge.

Regards, Ned.

Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Assmann & Sohne, Ludenscheid. - Cupal Hollow PAB in Bronze.
    P
    Many

Nice crisp detailing on that Ned!........

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Nice crisp detailing on that Ned!........
    Hi Paul,

Yeah, it's an almost perfect copy of the original Panzerkampf Abzeichen designed and made by Juncker, probably the most desirable ( it's known as the 'Porsche'), but not rarest badge out there. I have an early Nickel Silver one of them winging it's way to Chez Ned as we speak!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Nice one mate!....

?

Looks like a fake to me!!!!.. Only joking of course. Excellent photos & write up Ned thanks for showing it very nice...Cheers Terry.

Well done Ned old mate. Examples like this don't turn up very often. Stewy

Hi Ned,
    The bronze hues are just lovely. Superb badge!
    Do post your NS Juncker ASAP.

Regards
    HOW

?

You don't see pieces like that everyday Ned, scarce and fakes are apparently more plentiful than the good original ones. Beautiful badge and the worn highlights bring out the details even more.

Thank you for posting and for the detailed observations and analysis.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Very nice Ned. Congrats my friend.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Congrats Ned

You have a good eye!!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast