Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)

Article about: I didn't realise the Schickle firm was closed on religious grounds. Mind you, all I knew was they lost their licence. The reason had always escaped me. Interesting.

Default B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)

Hi Folks,

Here's an early B.H.Mayer Panzerkampf Abzeichen in bronze made from tombak. The history of this badge type is complicated, and some is conjecture, so i'll not go into it here. The badge was produced in great numbers throughout the war in various materials and should be considered common on the whole.

The obverse of the "Die 1" type has a couple of flaws which were fixed for the new "Die 2" production later on. These flaws are a vertical scar on the left inner wing feather and the tip of top right oakleaf remains open up against the outer right wing. These are both highlighted below in close up and a more expanded shot of the eagle. These flaws are not found on fake badges.

Note also the rounded design of the coaxial MG port, this is the main thing to look at when trying to discern a fake (this badge is the base of one of the oldest and commonest fakes out there), the fake ones are always much larger and almost ovoid in shape, also the tank tracks are more like "dumbells" than the correct design seen below.

The rear set up on this one is a known variant with a flat wire 'C' catch that Mayer used on many awards including their EK1, and the hinge is a sheet metal type with a 'chamfered' base.

B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)

Nice looking badge Ned and an reference for anyone wanting to buy one of these.

What are the differences between the 'Die 2' badge and a fake in neither show the flaws highlighted above?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Very nice piece Ned.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Nice looking badge Ned and an reference for anyone wanting to buy one of these.

What are the differences between the 'Die 2' badge and a fake in neither show the flaws highlighted above?
    Hi Adrian,

The 'Blob fake' that is always based on the "Die 2" type Mayer design is spotted by several different anomalies, the coaxial MG port is much larger and rugby ball (American football) shaped, not rounded as above. The grass and rock foreground is somewhat different, it's more detailed on the fakes. The tank tracks are of a more pronounced 'dumbell' shape.

The reverse is a little harder to spot. Some of the newer fakes have a wrap around hinge with a folded out lip on either side that was never used on original badges. But the older ones are a near perfect match. But what gives both away is that the hollow back of the badge lacks the sharp detail of the originals, but you need to know what you're looking at, and that comes through examining and handling both good and bad types. Best to stick with the obverse detail, especially the 'blob' shaped co-ax.

First, The original badge I posted, a good one.

Below, a fake with highlights to compare the differences to look for with the one above.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

many thanks Ned.

?

Thanks for taking the time to post Ned, a useful reference tool for all!

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Great information Ned,you really are a great help to the likes of me who never seem to spot the most minute details on genuine badges,let alone the fakes!!! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Great information Ned,you really are a great help to the likes of me who never seem to spot the most minute details on genuine badges,let alone the fakes!!! Leon.
    Thanks Leon. Funnily enough i've just gone and purchased the hollow tombak silver version of this badge not 3 hours ago, i'll put it up next to this one maybe when I get it, in a new thread and explain a bit more to the history of the 'B.H.Mayer Design' and who was thought to manufacture it.

Regards, Ned.

Quite informative Ned. This thread is a great study. Nice Panzer Badge also

Hi folks,

The silver version has arrived and it's a beautiful piece for sure. The pic's don't do it justice really, the swastika, wreath binding and high points on the eagles wings and the oakleaves are polished to a mirror finish whilst the rest of the badge is a lovely 'white' matt silver of the finest quality.

I decided to put it in this thread rather than starting a new one as besides the finish, it's identical to the bronze one above with the exact same reverse variant set up.

I said i'd explain a little about the maker of these 'B.H.Mayer Design' badges so this is what i've gleaned and hope is correct as this is still fairly recent findings. Mayer's originally designed it and sold the dies/design to other manufacturers, Frank & Reif being one, P&L another, but these below are believed to be made by the Pforzheim manufacturer Otto Schickle after close examination of the rear set ups used. The firm of Otto Schickle was closed around 1941-2 as it was jewish owned I believe, and as such all associations with the Reich goverment were terminated.

Regards, Ned.

B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)B.H.Mayer Design Bronze PAB in Tombak (Early "Die 1" Type.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast