Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beware of this PAB currently at auction.

Article about: Just a quick heads up to anyone who may be considering this PAB described as "cupal?" currently at an auction ending tomorrow. It's a very old, and these days rare, fake badge base

Default Beware of this PAB currently at auction.

Just a quick heads up to anyone who may be considering this PAB described as "cupal?" currently at an auction ending tomorrow. It's a very old, and these days rare, fake badge based on an S&L design. The material used is not cupal or aluminium, but some other undefined alloy. It certainly isn't zinc, buntmetal, blech or any other known type that was used in the period.

http://www.butschek-antiques.com/PRE...ver-Cupal.html

This particular fake is very convincing, and has fooled many collectors in the past, but is thankfully a rarity. If it were a genuine cupal piece it would be one of the rarest Panzer Assault Badges ever made. It has already been bid up to 200 Euro's.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Beware of this PAB currently at auction.
    P
    Many

thanks Ned.

?

I looked at many items in that auction and there appears to be quite a few questionable items in there sadly. Not really a once in a lifetime collection.

?

It should look like this one
    Have you seen one in Bronze?
    Pete

Its being sold with a question mark and the phrase feels like a cupal badge, buyer beware I guess.

Quote by wood View Post
    It should look like this one
    Have you seen one in Bronze?
    Pete

That looks like a Juncker cupal PAB (the only known maker of solid cupal PAB's) in silver and is ultra rare. It's interesting to note that the back of the badge is completely flat and the tank hardly protrudes above the wreath to give a pronounced 3D effect seen on most all other Panzer assault badges. Whilst having detailed photo's of both bronze and silver ones i've not yet been fortunate to handle either. The photo's above are excellent at showing the characteristics and hardware set up of the type, i've not seen them before, so thanks for sharing them.

It's not yours is it Pete???
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the info Ned. Sounds like this collection may have contained some fakes. Unfortunate.

It's not to be unexpected I guess Todd, the badge is a rather rare fake, so not often encountered, and on top of that is quite passable unless you have it in hand or know what you're looking at from the (not particularly good) photo's alone. This type has fooled some of the best in the hobby in the past I know for sure.

Quote by big ned View Post
    It's not to be unexpected I guess Todd, the badge is a rather rare fake, so not often encountered, and on top of that is quite passable unless you have it in hand or know what you're looking at from the (not particularly good) photo's alone. This type has fooled some of the best in the hobby in the past I know for sure.
    Understood. An how does that PAB look on that panzer tunic lol

Good eye Ned!
    I'm pretty sure Klaus is a member here. Has anybody contacted him about it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast