MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Ground dug Panzerkampfabzeichen ASW

Article about: As many of you know I have a fondness for ground dug badges and I've today been offered this Panzerkampfabzeichen ASW and as usual i'm looking for opinions. It's not that I mistrust this sel

Default Ground dug Panzerkampfabzeichen ASW

As many of you know I have a fondness for ground dug badges and I've today been offered this Panzerkampfabzeichen ASW and as usual i'm looking for opinions. It's not that I mistrust this seller as up until now I have no reason to believe he is anything other than a genuine Stalingrad digger.

I'm aware that the Arno Wallpach has been faked in the past but apparantly only in lead, this badge appears to be a hollow backed brass example. Can anyone tell me if oxidised brass will look like this?

First of all the obverse:

As for the reverse we can see that the pin and catch are missing. I understand that genuine AWS badges should have a crimped catch. I think the area where the catch was located looks like a crimp only of course highly corroded. What does everyone think?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground dug Panzerkampfabzeichen ASW
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Ground dug Panzerkampfabzeichen ASW

I think it could be a good one. Unfortunately with ground dug badges most of the details are lost or blurred so it's hard to tell but the crimped catch is a good sign, the vertical crimp marks are still visible so you could be in luck.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Well the seller wants US$200 for it...I think he's dreaming! I've offered US$130 which I think is enough? Ground dug Stalingrad or not, the closer the money he wants to a nice condition example the more I think I should just go buy a decent example.

?

$200 is alot of money for what it is but to be fair, this maker is very rare.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Oh really? I didn't know that...perhaps I should reconsider and go to $150 and see what happens. By the way, the EK1 in my other thread he wants $250 for, now thats gotta be too much for a rusty cored EK1 with no pin or maker mark?

?

Are you sure it's supposed to be solid brass? The sections that are corroded look more like zinc- as if the badge is actually brass-coated zinc. The only way copper alloys actually degrade is through the action of what's called 'bronze disease' or 'verdigris', an acidic destruction process that results in a bright light green, powdery growth that continually forms and flakes off- that's obviously not what's here; this looks just like the way zinc degrades to me- I have a number of ground-dug badges that look very much like this one, although none are brass-coated. I have one Allgemeinesturmabzeichen that's coated zinc (not sure what the surface metal is) so it would seem it was a process that was used- but I'm not a badge expert so couldn't say more...
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Yeah, thats why I was asking the question in the original post, the obverse certainly has a brass colour but I was wondering about the oxidised areas, they look grey like oxidised zinc not green like oxidised bronze.

On the reverse around the maker mark the coating looks to be bubbling just like I would expect from coated zinc.

It's got me curious for sure but not $200 curious!

?

Original AWS, these have high quality plated finish which resists the oxidation of the zinc underneath and this creates that bubbles you can see on these badges.Very rare badge, but I wouldn't pay 200$ for it.