Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.

Article about: Hi guys, Here's another recent addition, a very rare and desirable Hymmen & Co. hollow tombak Panzerkampf Abzeichen in bronze from very early on during the badges introduction. Whilst th

Default Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.

Hi guys,

Here's another recent addition, a very rare and desirable Hymmen & Co. hollow tombak Panzerkampf Abzeichen in bronze from very early on during the badges introduction.

Whilst the design of this badge is rather unique in it's naive style, with a weird looking eagles head, basic looking 'saw cut' breast feathers and the drooping tank barrel, other aspects are finely done much better than in other makers badges such as the superbly detailed track links and return rollers, and the unusual incised grass pattern that gives a nice 3D effect. These early badges often lost most or all of their plating, whether bronze or silver, but this example is almost perfect, retaining over 90% of it's original finish. The only slight defect is that the catch became cracked, not snapped, at some point during the past so was re soldered to strengthen it. This certainly appears to be period done and is of no real consequence to the badge's integrity.

Take note of the hairline flaw from the 10 o'clock position on the oaks that travels at a 30 odd degree angle all the way to the drivers vision port. This is seen to some extent or another on all the early tombak badges and even continued into the hollow zinc and final type solid zinc badges made by this company that shows that the same obverse die was used throughout the entire production period although the reverse dies changed overtime as the design evovled.

To finish things off nicely, the badge is in an original cardboard case with the tissue paper insert, a little bonus that adds to this very rare version of the Panzerkampf Abzeichen, I love it!

Regards, Ned.

Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.

Outstanding set mate. Thanks for the detailed analysis and the info on the die flaw. I learned something new today
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Hi Ned, a great description of a very nice item.
    Thank you mate.
    Cheers
    Nuno

Wow! That's one fine looking Panzer Badge. Learned quite alot Ned.

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Outstanding set mate. Thanks for the detailed analysis and the info on the die flaw. I learned something new today
    Thanks Chris, Nuno & Octavian,

The photo's again don't do this one justice, it's far sexier in hand! The funny thing is with this makers badges is that they have so far not been faked. Considering the rarity you'd think they'd have had a go, but I think it's general weird appearance complete with mahoosive die flaw has put them off as most collectors (perhaps fakers themselves) on initially examining the badge would dismiss it as a poor attempt at a copy of this award.

Funny thing is, they are rather addictive when you start taking an interest in them, gotta keep my eye out for more of 'em....

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great badge Ned,and as always a fantastically well researched synopsis! Is that hinge unique to this maker,i can't say I personally recall seeing one quite like it? Leon.

Congrats on a fine catch Ned!
    I really like the details in the track area.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Lovely Hymmen PAB Ned.

Thanks for the kind words fella's!

Hi Leon,

The hinge is a small block hinge in tombak and is found on many early type badges before materials started to become a premium. They can be found on a variety of different awards and were used by many makers, a generic fitting if you like. Here's an identical example on one of my Orth Panzerkampf Abzeichen's to take a looky at.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hymmen & Co., Hollow Tombak PAB in Bronze.  

Thank you Ned,only having a relatively small collection of badges(non of which have this hinge type)I thought it may have been a maker specific. I will keep my eye out for this generic hinge in the future!! Leon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast