Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen

Article about: Hi guys, here is the cut price Wurster panzer badge for inspection up close.

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen

Hi guys, here is the cut price Wurster panzer badge for inspection up close.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen   Panzerkampfabzeichen  

Panzerkampfabzeichen   Panzerkampfabzeichen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen
    P
    Many

Default Re: Panzerkampfabzeichen

Hi Richard,

This is a very difficult one for me, I think i'm undergoing a crisis of confirmation at the mo! A couple of things that concern me is the huge blob of solder/brazier that has been used to attach the catch. Another is the strange red coloured residue around that area, this is often considered to be remnants of the casting material used in the production of fake badges and awards.

On the other hand, a couple of known flaws in these KWM solid zinc badges when faked are not present IMO. Namely a horizontal ding/crease on the reverse right side next to the turret cupola, and on the obverse, a blob of metal on one of the left upper track links. I would expect to see these, even faintly, if the badge were a known copy. It also lacks signs of wear in certain areas that are present on faked badges that come from the original badge used to make the master mold for the fakes, thus rendering them all the same. I can't see these telltale worn areas on this badge.

But the thing that swings it for me to say I think it's original is the rear hardware being made of buntmetal. Wurster were known to carry on using up their stock of buntmetal small block hinges, pins and catches on the newer zinc badges long after they started producing these KWM marked badges with the common steel wrap around hinges and related hardware, almost a transitional period between the two differing types. I have never seen this mix of buntmetal hardware/zinc badge on any fake examples, so on balance, I give it a tentative , and say for me it's good, although possibly refinished/treated/cleaned at some time since the finish on the obverse appears a little 'different' as if it's been messed with at sometime, although I may be wrong.

I will be very interested to hear other considered opinions on this badge as I cannot be 100% sure.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for that Ned, your knowledge is frightening :P This is quite a heavy badge, was pleasantly surprised at the chunkyness and it has some nice detail, even if it was fake, yeah anyone else that wants to dive in with some wisdom, feel free! (We're still in the 7 day period when it can be sent back )

Here are some additional wurster's I found to compare.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen   Panzerkampfabzeichen  

looks ok to me.

Quote by Richarduk View Post
    Here are some additional wurster's I found to compare.
    I feel better already, cheers Rich!

Here's a couple of fake KWM zinc badges where i've highlighted the main obverse and reverse flaws that I mentioned earlier. Also note the hardware is NOT made from buntmetal. I think this rounds things of nicely regarding this particular badge.

Regards, Ned.

PanzerkampfabzeichenPanzerkampfabzeichenPanzerkampfabzeichenPanzerkampfabzeichen
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

This one is a puzzler to me which is why I haven't ventured an opinion as yet because I simply don't know enough about them.

One observation I have made is that on other Wurster badges, the pins are always finished to a point whereas Richards badge looks like it has just been clipped by pliers and not finished.

I have seen other badges called original which have the red residue on the reverse such as Richard's.

Comparing to the badges Ned has posted I would say it compares more favourably than not and as such I would give it a cautious thumbs up. However, I would err on the side of caution and buy another one that I was sure about.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I've had a look around at these at Rich's request and I think it's a genuine piece. And from what he paid for it at a pretty good price too, i'm comfortable with it for what it is, a common badge in typical condition for this particular maker and type. It'll never set the world on fire, but it's a representative piece at reasonable money IMO.

Regards, Ned.