Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad

Article about: I don't like this one at all, please let me know your thoughts. A younger fresher set of eyes are what I need. D

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad

I don't like this one at all, please let me know your thoughts. A younger fresher set of eyes are what I need.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad  

Last edited by rbminis; 11-14-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad
    P
    Many

Hello Damien,
    It could be an earlier hollow Wurster, but better straight on photos of the eagle are what we need.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph,
    Just tried to take a photo of the eagle and the camera decided to pack up, so the battery is on charge. Will post a pic asap.
    Thanks,
    D.

Hi Damien, I agree with Ralph. Stewy

Default Couple more pics

I hope these pictures help. It would be great to find this badge is a good one.
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad  

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad   Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, good or bad  

imo its good,strange damage to it like it been run over on 1 side.

Hi harryamb2,
    It does look as if the side of it has been squashed for sure, not sure whats caused it.
    D

Sorry, with better pics I'm not keen. Not a Wurster eagle for sure. Stewy

There are some good photos of my example here as well as Stewy's.
    You should be able to compare the eagle and come to a conclusion.
    Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, Karl Wurster
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

This one is difficult, i've been looking at it long and hard and there are some points that are indicative to me that this is a fake Wurster 1.2.3 "Organised Grass" PAB made by Staegemeir. He has produced a "ground dug" version of the type 1.2.3 that is a very good copy, but it is distinguishable by certain errors or flaws. The one above has the appearance of being a double struck badge that evaded QC, which I find highly unlikely as these early badges were renowned for their excellent quality bar none. So is it battle damaged or badly field worn? The appearance to me is it has been very carefully and selectively "aged" by use of hand tools to hide or disguise certain points that give the fake away easily, and a very good job they've done.

But I will try to show some anomalies in the OP's badge that match the known ground dug fake Wurster PAB that I feel are perhaps more than coincidental. I should add these are just my opinions and are open to question at anytime.

First, the reverse of the eagle shows several flaws that are almost exactly, if not the same. This can only happen if one badge has been produced from the cast of an original master badge that had the flaws to start with, no two badges should be the same, but these two are an uncanny match imo. The gearbox access panels also show worrying similarities, having almost identical "marks" to each other.

Here's the OP's badge with flaws I have highlighted in RED. (Click on pic's to expand)

And the same flaws in the known Staegemeir "Ground Dug" fake badge.

Now note the areas highlighted on both the above badges in GREEN. The black, oily residue is indicative of fake ageing. It's a favoured method used by fakers to imitate patina and is never found on genuine pieces, ground dug or otherwise, yet it's on both of the badges, not good!

Finally, another problem the faker has been known to have problems with is the shape of the pressure foot on the pin. Although the OP's photo doesn't really show it very well, it appears to be the wrong shape to me, being somewhat truncated or even missing.

This is the correct shape of a Wurster type 1.2.3 pressure foot, to me it appears different, but confirmation is needed from the OP regarding this as the above pic isn't really ideal.

So my opinion is that when all these points are added together they point to the OP's badge being likely an example of the known Staegemeir fake ground dug type 1.2.3 Organised Grass Wurster PAB in Bronze, but I stress this is just my opinion and is open to question.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast