Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?

Article about: Hi, I am looking for some opinions if the is authentic or a reproduction? I will be viewing this item in person Sunday. Not to sure on the "25" area on this badge along with very m

?

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?

Hi, I am looking for some opinions if the is authentic or a reproduction? I will be viewing this item in person Sunday.
    Not to sure on the "25" area on this badge along with very minimal experience with these badges.
    Thanks in advance for any help, Jeff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?   Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?  

Last edited by rbminis; 04-01-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

Please read and observe.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Will say that I can't make a determination based on these pictures alone, and I will admit my skills on these are less than others.

This is an unmarked JFS.

But, from what I can see, this looks like it stands a good chance. While difficult to see, the font on the number plate appears correct. Also the reverse hardware appears correct as well. Devil is always in the details. When in hand, look to see if there are dimples in the rivets. Also look to see if there are serrations on the side of the hook. Also look to see if the hinge is all one piece (instead of a block hinge welded to a base plate.

Finally in looking at the obverse this appears to be a later produced item due to a die flaw on the talons of the eagle. From what little I can see from the photos, there is very little visible of the legs left.

In the end, please wait for BigNed and others. Don't rely on my opinions alone.

But...here are two excellent examples to look at (if you don't already have Phillippe De Bocks book). I took these photos specifically to be reference material.

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe 50 JFS

Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25" JFS

JFS awards are unique in there is no variation in the hardware, number plates, etc. Only in the die flaw of the talons and maker mark. While wear and tear may obscure these details, any variation is something to raise an warning sign. That said, there was recently a mint bronze JFS that was pulled from an auction just recently as being a copy. It appeared (to me at my skill level) to have had all the hallmarks we normally look for to authenticate an original. Others might be able to comment more on this.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Badges are one of my weak spots. Good luck with it.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hi Jad,
    It looks good to me. As Michael has given an excellent description of what should be seen here point by point, I fully agree with his appraisal! As he mentions, there will be stress striations on the edges of the catch hook, these are ALWAYS found on genuine badges and NEVER on any of the numerous fakes that abound out there.

Here's another example the same as in Michael's link of what you want to be looking for (this example on a numbered JFS GAB, but otherwise identical). If the stress lines are not there then there's a problem, but I think you're good to go.

Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Gentlemen, Thanks very much for the outstanding pointers on what to look for and your opinions.

What would be a fair price for this badge in it condition?

Thank You again , Jeff

Quote by jad57 View Post
    Gentlemen, Thanks very much for the outstanding pointers on what to look for and your opinions.

What would be a fair price for this badge in it condition?

Thank You again , Jeff
    Sorry, we do not do free evaluations.
    You'll have to check some dealer's sites and knock off about 20%.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Thanks for the advise Ralph, I will do so.
    I will have a chance to see this in person tomorrow and see what the asking price will be.
    Thank You, Jeff

MAP
    ?

Price is highly dependent on condition. This one seems to still have most of the silver gilt remaining. Good luck!!

Check out eMedals. They have many to compare against to give you an idea on prices.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Michael & Ned and thanks to everyone for there help on this.

Luckily I was able to get this with some other items and the cost was safe and affordable,so even if this turns out to be a bad badge no worries. Lets hope I payed attention to the qualification tips and information.

Here are some close ups,apologizes for the not so good photos , Thanks again Jeff

Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?Panzerkampfabzeichen II Stufe "25", Real or Fake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast