Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen.

Article about: Hi Guys, I thought i'd show my Grade III Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silver for reference. It's the earlier of the two near identical types they made, having more detailed 'dotted' style acorn c

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen.

Hi Guys,

I thought i'd show my Grade III Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silver for reference. It's the earlier of the two near identical types they made, having more detailed 'dotted' style acorn cups rather than the later 'cross hatched' type that were added as the die began to show wear.

This particular badge is interesting in that it has a very unusual variant rear hardware set up. The catch is a flatwire one on a fairly large circular base, as opposed to the regular roundwire kind on a small oblong one. This type is only found on a few badges. The hinge is even more scarce, being a wraparound type with a rectangular base instead of the usual eliptical one, only one or two other badges have so far been found with this customised hinge. When such cases as this arise, where unusual or different set ups are used, it's best to fall back on examining the panzer and wreath detail to authenticate the badge. Fortunately this has been viewed by several of the main PKA collectors in the hobby, including Philippe De Bock, who have all given it an unequivocal

I've posted a lot of pictures, especially close ups so that the relevant areas that need attention when trying to assertain the originality or not of a G.B. Panzer Assault Badge are shown, such as track link/roadwheel details, the eagles talons and swastika etc., although certain ones like close ups of edge flash, hand finishing and suchlike i've left out for expediancy, although they are available to those who may need them, just ask.

The little bit of history that came along with the award is that it came from the German veterans son in Canada, where his father emigrated to after the war. He fought mainly on the Russian Front, and was also awarded the Anti Partisan Badge in Silver, a very rare award, as well as the standard campaign medals and other various medals and badges. Unfortunately these were all sold seperately, as is so often the case these days.

Anyway, Here's the badge and some associated shots. All comments or questions are welcomed.

Regards, Ned.

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen. Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen.

Details:

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen. Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen.

The rare variant rear hardware set up:

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen.
    P
    Many

And finally the makers mark and the not commonly found undamaged rivets. These were often 'tightened' at factory level because they were too narrow, so the badge 'rattled', and consequently often appear 'squashed'.

Panzerkampfabzeichen III Stufe "50" by Gustav Brehmer of Markneukirchen.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Curious that a rare, desirable badge is posted with good reference photos and no-one has commented.

Is there any variation on the makers mark between badges from this maker or is the tank part of the badge pretty much untouched throughout the timeline of manufacture?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Ned some excellent close up snaps of this badge..I love the back of the badge & it make up excellent stuff. I don't think I can afford one these & knowing my luck I would end up with a fake lol.. So thanks for taking your time to photograph & post this top dollar award/badge.. Cheers Terry.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Curious that a rare, desirable badge is posted with good reference photos and no-one has commented.

Is there any variation on the makers mark between badges from this maker or is the tank part of the badge pretty much untouched throughout the timeline of manufacture?
    Hi Adrian,

The badge is made up of three separate parts, the wreath and eagle clutching the swastika, the tank, and the number shield. The G.B. badge was a late war addition compared to both the Juncker type and the JFS one. This is known as the general quality of the materials used (kreigsmetall as opposed to higher grade zinc) is poorer, and the fact that the number of '50' badges out number the '25' ones by a marked degree, indicates the need of a third maker of higher grade badges as the war neared it's end.

As with the other two makers of these mid to late war badges, made in limited quantities over a limited time space, only very slight production or set up variances are acceptable, the designs remain consistent. Therefore the only acceptable changes to be found on genuine G.B. grade II/III badges is the later reworked acorn cups due to die wear, the fixing method of the number shield (rivetted, splayed prongs or soldered), and the rear hardware set up's. The tank and it's makers mark should always be exactly the same and fit within the original design parameters.

Regards, Ned.

excellent presentation from Ned.

Hi Ned,

saw your great badge to late! Excellent badge with a interesting history and showed with very good detailed pics. Thanks for showing and the great Input.

Regards
    Joe