Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen needs evaluation

Article about: Pin back looks like a replacement.. Seller claims the badge is cast bronze.

?

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen needs evaluation

Pin back looks like a replacement.. Seller claims the badge is cast bronze. Panzerkampfabzeichen needs evaluationPanzerkampfabzeichen needs evaluationPanzerkampfabzeichen needs evaluation
    Last edited by Adrian; 05-27-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Title changed to use German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen needs evaluation
    P
    Many

?

There are others here especially "Big Ned" that have a better understanding and
    experience on these type of badges... Sit tight.....G

The badge is a good 'Die 3' type AS in Triangle, an unknown maker, in bronze that's lost nearly all it's finish. The silver coloured pin is typical for the 'Die 3' type and is not a replacement. The badge is actually die struck, not cast, and has all the typical traits one would expect. Although not visible on the reverse photo, I would expect to see some sign of hand finishing on areas around the tank and inner wreath. There may also be parallel striations running from the centre of the reverse out to the edges of the badge, more signs it's a die struck and not cast piece.

Knowledge is power, hope you can get it at a good price!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    The badge is a good 'Die 3' type AS in Triangle, an unknown maker, in bronze that's lost nearly all it's finish. The silver coloured pin is typical for the 'Die 3' type and is not a replacement. The badge is actually die struck, not cast, and has all the typical traits one would expect. Although not visible on the reverse photo, I would expect to see some sign of hand finishing on areas around the tank and inner wreath. There may also be parallel striations running from the centre of the reverse out to the edges of the badge, more signs it's a die struck and not cast piece.

Knowledge is power, hope you can get it at a good price!

Regards, Ned.

Buyer is asking $250. Ned, what do you think a fair evaluation for this piece is? Sorry to put you on the spot... I just can't find any point of reference for this version of the badge.

good but expensive imo.

Quote by Boerne View Post
    Buyer is asking $250. Ned, what do you think a fair evaluation for this piece is? Sorry to put you on the spot... I just can't find any point of reference for this version of the badge.
    That is around the dealer rate for one of these marked AS in Triangle badges these days, more if it's a stunner. If it were collector to collector i'd expect it to be less at around $180-$200. Looking at it again, It may have more finish left than the photo's imply, which would be nice, making it more desirable, but that's a chance you may have to take....

You could always wait around for a better priced one to come along, but that's up to you.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.