Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber Mayer ?

Article about: Hello For some reason I got this PAB in my collection now, I was thinking of letting it go again but the more I handled it I have decided to keep it (if everything is ok with it). I know not

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber Mayer ?

Hello

For some reason I got this PAB in my collection now, I was thinking of letting it go again but the more I handled it I have decided to keep it (if everything is ok with it).

I know nothing about the PAB, its the first one I actually held in my hand.

I did some quick research here and elsewhere, I think its a good B.H. Mayer. (Bronze?)
    It seems to be quite heavily worn, (resolderd Pin and Catch?) a big imprint from the Pin by the base of the Pin mount, its cracked on 2 places and overall pretty skewed. Nevertheless I like it.

But I am quite happily set straight, always learning new things.

Last edited by rbminis; 04-26-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Edited title to use the correct German terminology.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber Mayer ?
    P
    Many

Please remember.
    The Use of German Terminology.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Whoops!
    To hasty I was, apologies!

The badge is a late war B.H. Mayer hollow zinc "Type II Die" PAB.

By this stage of the war materials for badges/awards was getting very poor in quality, and this is reflected here as you say, with the cracks, dings and dents. The zinc is very thin, and a type of pot metal that meant the badge was very light at around a mere 15g.

The rear hardware on this one is of interest, it's a variant type that is considered rather rare, being a copper coated folded sheet metal hinge with a winged base, the catch is the standard type. The hardware appears to be in original condition to me, and not repaired in any way, they were made this rough!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    The badge is a late war B.H. Mayer hollow zinc "Type II Die" PAB.

By this stage of the war materials for badges/awards was getting very poor in quality, and this is reflected here as you say, with the cracks, dings and dents. The zinc is very thin, and a type of pot metal that meant the badge was very light at around a mere 15g.

The rear hardware on this one is of interest, it's a variant type that is considered rather rare, being a copper coated folded sheet metal hinge with a winged base, the catch is the standard type. The hardware appears to be in original condition to me, and not repaired in any way, they were made this rough!

Regards, Ned.
    Thank you for your reply and info!
    Thats good news, also with the "not repaired" hardware.

I may ask like a idiot, to my defense I dont know my way around awards who were either Silver or Bronze, is there anyway of telling witch this one is ?

Quote by Sveimhugi View Post
    I may ask like a idiot, to my defense I dont know my way around awards who were either Silver or Bronze, is there anyway of telling witch this one is ?
    It's hard to say, these late war badges were coated with a cheap wash and very little if any survives after 7 decades. You can't really go by the hardware either, as the copper coating can be found on both grades, BUT the ratio of silver examples to bronze is much greater, perhaps as much as 10:1, so in all likelihood it was a silver badge, but who knows?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Great, thats good enough for me.
    Thank for the time you have put into this, I appreciate it

Regards from Iceland
    /Sindri