Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, Steinhauer & Lück, Oval Hinge

Article about: It seems like a long time since I have been able to add a silver PAB to my collection. This one recently arrived in the mail. The condition is good and it retains most of it's silver finish.

Default Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, Steinhauer & Lück, Oval Hinge

It seems like a long time since I have been able to add a silver PAB to my collection.
    This one recently arrived in the mail.
    The condition is good and it retains most of it's silver finish. What is interesting is the hinge used was one of the two early hinge variants S&L already used on there hollow buntmetal badges.
    These are not seen for sale very often in this condition.
    Ralph.

I believe that the pin is original to the badge but what I find interesting is the way the point is finished. It has been cut like a nail rather than rounded out smoothly. I don't remember any of my other awards having a pin that is finished at the end like this one.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber, Steinhauer & Lück, Oval Hinge
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Nice Ralph. Great finish on the obverse and I think I can see the filing marks on the reverse. I like those examples with the sheet metal catch.

Never seen one with a pin like that either. Would be nice to see it magnified under a USB Microscope. But from what it looks like with my naked eyes, there appears to be plenty of patina on it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you Michael!
    Yes, the hand finishing marks are there, and yes, there is plenty of patina on the pin.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph,

A nice pick up mate! As for thoughts on the pin, It's original and been there forever. The oval hinge and pin (sometimes with or without the sheet metal catch) is most often found with the nail point tip, although they can occasionally be found trimmed at a different angle, or ground off flat, sort of 'blunted'. This hinge and pin, less the catch, can be found on other S&L badges such as their IAB, minesweeper and auxiliary cruiser awards, there may be more but those spring to mind! Well done on adding this fine example to your collection!

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Ralph,

A nice pick up mate! As for thoughts on the pin, It's original and been there forever. The oval hinge and pin (sometimes with or without the sheet metal catch) is most often found with the nail point tip, although they can occasionally be found trimmed at a different angle, or ground off flat, sort of 'blunted'. This hinge and pin, less the catch, can be found on other S&L badges such as their IAB, minesweeper and auxiliary cruiser awards, there may be more but those spring to mind! Well done on adding this fine example to your collection!

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks Ned!
    I have been looking for one of these for some time now. I had no doubts about the pin, (or any of the parts), I just found the tip interesting.
    Ralph.